3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Print Preview in Netscape 6.0

I could not find the print preview function in Netscape Communication 6.0 browser. Did AOL take out this function?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Print Preview in Netscape 6.0

Sorry -- I use Netscape Communicator 4.08. Wouldn't touch an AOL product if you paid me, but that's a different story. I don't mean to ask the obvious, but considering nobody's answered with more than this in over 2 weeks... have you checked the Help key?
    Karen

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't get me wrong :-) I am not an AOL user. I just use Netscape Communicator for browsing. AOL is the owner of Netscape Communicator.

I did check the Help before posting this question. I remember there was a print preview function under the File menu before Version 6.0, At then, Internet Explorer did not have preview function yet.

It is wield enough that Internet Explorer has put in this function while AOL is taking out this function.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I figured you must have, but just wanted to double-check. You are surely right about that! I've saved many a pages of extraneous garbage by knowing what page(s) I want to print.

Maybe if you drop a line to the [img]/w3timages/icons/dragon.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/dragon.gif[/img] over yonder, they'll put it back!

I'm sorry for your pain.[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]
    Karen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I noticed in the screen shots of the Netscape 6.0 reviewers guide, the following in the file menu, a section of choices:
    Page Setup
    Print Preview
    Print
    Print Plus

It's not there in the file menu of Navigator 6?

Aha! It's not there for sure. I downloaded Netscape 6. I was careful to install it in an entirely different location than my copy of Netscape 4.75. Good thing too. What are we involuntary Netscape 6 beta testers? Looks like the print preview hasn't made it into the latest build. I couldn't use page setup either to change margins, etc. Does look like, to me anyway, it was rushed out the door.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I think it was rushed, Tom. I still use 4.75. Same thing happened with Word Perfect. Instead of improving the product to meet the competition, they wait until they lose 90% of the market before making real improvements

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I made the mistake of going to the Netscape 6 Feedback forum on their own Newsgroup. [img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img] YIKES is a fitting word here. Boy, talk about bad advertising on their own site. They've got some ticked off customers. I think one "good" thing being discussed is creating Web pages to standards not using proprietary tags no matter whose browser is used. Other than that, version 6 looks like it needs some real work, before it is accepted.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thought NS 6 *was* a beta. Is there a difference between NS 6 and Mozilla/Gecko? I haven't tried NS 6. Mozilla sieemed to be coming along as an open source project, but very slowly.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Supposedly Netscape released a "Final" release after Preview 1, 2, & 3.

It doesn't seem quite right, beta or not, that a software package would leave out page setup and print preview. Those features are not new ideas by any means. I can see having bugs in a new release, but to have features taken away seems a little odd. Especially features that are commonly used. I'm going to give it time, but it looks like the final release of 6 was issued to meet a marketing deadline. It's got quite a bit of mixed reviews.

I still can't believe the unnecessary garbage being "discussed" on Netscape's own newsgroups. I'm glad to see that doesn't go on here. One of the reasons this site works so well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My understanding is that is a work in progress in the open source tradition. It is only released so that others can see the progress and make a contribution.

NS 6 is based on a totally new rendering engine (i.e. the code that takes the page and writes it to your screen). It is a new program, not a patch on an old program like NS 2 through 4.x, and I.E. 2 through the present. That means that features have to be rewritten from the bottom up, not just "left in" or updated to work with the other changes.

The new engine is supposed to be smaller and faster, and more w3c standards based.