New Lounger
    Thanks

GAL to Contacts problem

I have several Outlook 2000/IMO users who work off-site and do not have access to our Exchange Server. They have requested copies of the GAL so that they can have a current list of employees in their Contacts. The problem is that no matter how I export the recipients list from the GAL, I end up with X400 email addresses rather than their SMTP addresses. There must be a way to get the right addresses, but I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: GAL to Contacts problem

Your users would be better served if you had installed Outlook in Corporate or Work Group mode and enabled offline folders. Then, the user could connect once to Exchange, select the option to synchronize the global address book as an offline folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You're totally right. Unfortunately, even though these guys are employees of my company, they are housed at another company and use that company's computers and network. So I'm really not able/willing to connect them to our system. Still, I need to be able to periodically send them current email lists.

Lounger
    Thanks

Oops! Slight problem there then. What version of Exchange are you using at your company? You could try this:

1. Export a GAL from Exchange Administrator program,
    2. Send the resulting .csv file to your recipients.
    3. Have the users import the .csv file into their Outlook.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm running Exchange 5.5. Once again, great idea, but the CSV file contains the X400 address, not the SMTP address. This is true even though both addresses are a part of the Contact record. Fortunately, there's no crisis here...it's more a matter of convenience. Still, I can't help but believe there must be a way to export what we need. It may turn out to be yet another "Outlook Annoyance", though.

Lounger
    Thanks

okay - kludge coming right up - set yourself up for offline use, download the GAL. Disconnect from the network, export the downloaded GAL to a .csv or .pst format, send it to your remote users. Unfortunately, you will need to keep them up to date whenever you have an addition, deletion, revision to the GAL.

It is a real pain having to deal with remote users on another company's server. Last option is to set up public folders for them to access via OWA over SSL or VPN, make the GAL available via Public Folder favorites and give them access that way.

lsu

You can export SMTP addresses using the Exhange Administrator. Bad new is that the text string may be concatenated with X.400, Lotus Notes and CC:Mail addresses. The field you need to export is "Proxy-Addresses". Incidentally, run a file search on your Exchange server for CSV files. Exchange installs a CSV file that contains all fields that can be exported (which includes a few that can't be imported) - I just can't remember the name or location. You can control the fields that are exported by creating a CSV file (you can use NotePad) that contains one line of text composed of each field you desire, with each separated by a comma. When you run the export, designate that file as the target. Exchange Admin will read the header and then export only those fields.