2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Has Microsoft Security Essentials ended updates for XP?

I still have an XP computer on my network, which I fire up occasionally to run DOS programs. I have Microsoft Security Essentials on it. I booted it on April 3, and noticed that the last virus and spyware definitions were updated March 27. So I clicked on update. The text below the green bar says initiating, downloading, installing (or something like that as the bar progresses from left to right). Then I get a 'connection failed' message which says it did not update because of an internet or network connectivity problem.

I know that is not the problem. Other programs on the XP access the internet just fine. Also, I have Security Essentials on my Windows 7 desktop on the same network, and it updated automatically on April 5.

I have rebooted the XP now for the last 3 days, and when I try to update Security Essentials, I always get the same message.

So does anyone know if Microsoft has stopped supplying definition updates for Security Essentials on the XP? I did a couple of internet searches. All I can find were press releases and articles from about 3 or 4 years ago. They talked about not being able to install Security Essentials on an XP after mid 2014, but I could not find anything about when updates would end.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Harry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hmw For This Useful Post:

Jean-Yves (2017-04-07)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Here is a list of several free A/V programs, many of which work on Windows XP:

https://www.thebalance.com/best-free-antivirus-1356634

Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer supported on Windows XP, as noted in the link posted above by Bruce.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    But it doesn't say anything about when Security Essentials updates will stop. As I said in my post, I got one as recent as March 27, 2017, which is well past any of the dates mentioned for when support for XP would end.

Harry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    "Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015."

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Here is a list of several free A/V programs, many of which work on Windows XP:

https://www.thebalance.com/best-free-antivirus-1356634

Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer supported on Windows XP, as noted in the link posted above by Bruce.
    Thanks for the very extensive list. One wonders how long these companies will provide support? But at least they are longer than Security Essentials.

Harry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    "Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015."
    If 'signatures and engine' translates to definition updates for Security Essentials, then I wonder why I continued to receive them until March 27, 2017, when is over 1 1/2 years after July 14, 2015?

Harry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi HMW,
    Here is a good new : A new malware definition file is available since this morning for XP devices (1.239.990.0). When I first saw your post I thought these updates became available only to PCs with modified registry still having the benefit of regular Windows updates (POSReady 2009 for embedded machines). Finally, no ! all machines (I tried both types) are OK. This shows that presently MSE fully performs with XP PCs in spite of all warnings and fuzzy information released since two years on line. But in the future ??? Excuse my basic english, this is not my mother tongue.....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Yves View Post
    Hi HMW,
    Here is a good new : A new malware definition file is available since this morning for XP devices (1.239.990.0). When I first saw your post I thought these updates became available only to PCs with modified registry still having the benefit of regular Windows updates (POSReady 2009 for embedded machines). Finally, no ! all machines (I tried both types) are OK. This shows that presently MSE fully performs with XP PCs in spite of all warnings and fuzzy information released since two years on line. But in the future ??? Excuse my basic english, this is not my mother tongue.....
    After getting your post, I booted my XP. This time, instead of getting the connectivity problem message, the antimalware definition file tried to load, but I got a message saying it had encountered a problem and had to close.

So I rebooted my XP. Same result. Did this several times during the day, with the same result. I have very little coding knowledge, so I have attached 4 files detailing what the error message contained. Perhaps you or someone else can give me an idea of what all this means.

I think your English is just fine.

Harry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Harry,

In my case, past events were not exactly the same as yours. As for you, I had no new definition file after March 27 as far as yesterday. From March 27 to April 4 (approx) I tried now and then to manually initiate uploads. Result : searching... then downloading... then installing .... and then NOTHING, no update at all. Then (April 5 maybe) I had a message saying that the update failed due to connection problems (it was not the case).

So yesterday morning I tried with another computer ... and it worked ! So I went back to the first machine and also it worked ! Both machines run XP Pro SP3. The only difference is that the second one still receives security updates for XP whereas the first one does not (I thought this could make the difference).

I am not good enough to guess more from the screenshots you sent. Sorry...

Regards,
    Jean-Yves
    Last edited by Jean-Yves; 2017-04-08 at 12:56. Reason: Forgot attachment

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jean-Yves:

This is really strange. After I got your April 8 post, I booted my XP and tried again. Same error message. I tried several times on the 8th, with the same result. On the 9th, I booted it and just left it on. I checked a few hours later and the the definition file was uploaded. Just now (on the 10th), I got a note that I had 6 Office updates, that had been installed on my Windows computer on March 29. They are now being installed.

Very strange.

Harry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hmw View Post
    Jean-Yves:

This is really strange. After I got your April 8 post, I booted my XP and tried again. Same error message. I tried several times on the 8th, with the same result. On the 9th, I booted it and just left it on. I checked a few hours later and the the definition file was uploaded. Just now (on the 10th), I got a note that I had 6 Office updates, that had been installed on my Windows computer on March 29. They are now being installed.

Very strange.

Harry
    Office is not Windows XP - two different programming groups.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mmi16:

>>Office is not Windows XP - two different programming groups. <<

I agree. But it seemed strange that both sets of updates were installed on my Windows 7 computer on Mar. 29, and both were installed on my XP April 9. And on my XP, MSE was giving me that network error message all the days in between.

Harry

Thanks
    I do not have the XP "End of service life notice" update in my XP installations, and I still use Windows Defender all by itself now that Security Essentials no longer works in XP.