5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

establish network questions

Hello,
    I have just switched to cable internet vs my old dial up. I have two computers and want to network them in order to have access to the internet on both systems. I have network cards in both. I have a hub (linksys). Both systems are running WIN 98 SE. Can someone point me to some basic info on setting up the network and how to access the internet from both systems. Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: establish network questions

The best thing is to have a Router that the cable modem can be plugged into as well as the computers. The cable settings need to entered into the router and all the cable company see is the router. Most routers come with good instructions as how to enter the cable information. Remember that the cable company will NOT support you and your network

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What is the difference between a router and a hub in this regard?

New Lounger
    Chatswood or Tascott, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

A software proxy server on the PC connected to the Internet is the easy way to go. While I use Winproxy in exactly the situation you describe I have since found an excellent freeware proxy server, and used it successfully. Go to http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm and download the item "Proxy". This runs on the PC connected to the internet. The browser on the other PC is configured to look at the internal IP address of the net connected PC (something like 192.168.0.1). Your internal network must be using TCP/IP. That's it - no special software on the second PC. The included text file explains it all. Free and easy.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A router allows the modem to be plugged into it using a extra cat 5 connector. Also most routers act as a hardware FIREWALL while a "Hub" from the past did NOT have these items. But some NEW hubs as they are tagged do, so check you manual that came with your hardware and see if this can been done.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.