Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actual Hours getting distributed strangely (MS Project 2000 SR-1)

We are having problems with Project spreading out actual hours for tasks over several days. It does not add or subtract any hours, just redistributes them over several days, in a certain task. We enter actual hours manually into Project, and this happens quite freequently.
    I attached an excel file with an example of what happens. The hours were taken from backups of the same file, one from 1-7-02 and the other from 1-8-02. The top half was copied from Project, and the bottom half I used a formula to get rid of the h, so I could add a total.
    Has anyone seen anything like this, and/or know how to fix it?
    Thanks,
    Justin K.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: Actual Hours getting distributed strangely (MS Project 2000 SR-1)

Are you entering actual hours by day, week, month, etc. I seem to remember something similar to this in older versions of MS Project. I believe MS Project will only keep actual hours "in their buckets" without re-spreading them if you enter the hours daily. Otherwise, MS Project will spread the hours evenly based on the start and finish date (or current date) of the task and when the data was entered. (Don't hold me to this as it has been a while since I dealt with this, but I had to review this for inputting time from an accounting system into MS Project and the total hours were correct, however, the actuals by day were incorrect.)

Other then writing directly to the MS Project tables (not recommended as MS Project stores data in some unique ways), I believe you will need to enter the data daily to prevent spreading the data.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong or if there is a way to enter the data without spreading the data evenly over time.

One way to review this is to save your MS Project as a MS Access database
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am entering time by week. You say you remember this happening in older versions of MS Project? I am using MS Project 2000 SR-1, it doesn't seem to be that old. Do you think that upgrading to SR-2 would be helpfull?

Thank you for your help.

Justin K.

Thanks

The version of MS Project that stored data this way was Project 98. I doubt that Microsoft changed the way the data is stored in 2000 such that upgrading to SR-2 probably won't make a difference. Hopefully, I am wrong, but it sounds as if by what you said that the data is still stored in the same way.

Good Luck
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Bithmus,

I'm having the same problems with project spreading out hours, but not for the actuals hours but for the remaining hours. Though, I've noticed that if I use "Ressources usage view" or "Tasks usage view" with a yearly display instead of monthly or daily that the totals are OK...
    Would you like to send me your project file so I can look if we are experementing exactly the same problem ?
    We have a "premier account" with microsoft and I'm ready to post them the problem. The only problem, I have is that my MS Project file is french and I'm sure I will get slower response because of that...So If you send me your file and I'm able to reproduce the problem I will use your file to report the problem instead of mine. Please Let me know ASAP, because I have a VP within my organization that is waiting for a quick response for this problem...

Tx !

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Thanks for the offer to help. I would be willing to send you a project, but first I need to get permission from my higher ups, and they're in an all day meeting.

I've noticed that when I enter actual hours by the week for a task that is supposed to take 1 day, project will automatically change the duration on the task, sometimes to a week, sometimes to a month, and then spread the hours I've entered in over the whole duration. If I add up the total number of actual hours for a task with spread out hours, the total is right, but the hours are in the wrong places. I've tried to avoid this, and things seem to have gotten better.

Justin K.

Thanks

You said, <I've noticed that when I enter actual hours by the week for a task that is supposed to take 1 day, project will automatically change the duration on the task, sometimes to a week, sometimes to a month, and then spread the hours I've entered in over the whole duration. >

Project will spread your tasks as you say if you set up the tasks as effort driven. To avoid this, ensure your tasks are not effort driven. Better yet, set your default task type to Fixed Duration and not effort driven (if you want the duration of the tasks to remain constant.)
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)