Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

External Hard Drive Issue

Just purchased a new Asus laptop with 3 USB 3.0 ports. I have a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB hard drive which is a few years old. I have two other Win 10 laptops with 3.0 ports. The drive does not work properly on one of the Asus ports but works fine on the other two and on the other two computers as well. I have run chkdsk and Sea Tools from Seagate and found no problems with the drive.

On the port in question the drive opens when plugged in and I can see the file folders. However, when I attempt to open a file or work with a file it hangs and times out.

Two other 3.0 hard drives and two 3.0 thumb drives work without issue in that same Asus port. At this point I have put too much work into getting this laptop set up to take it back based on this. I would if the port wouldn't work with any drive. I'm trying to decide if there is just some issue with the external drive and deciding if I should no longer trust it for backups.

Any ideas?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may have nothing to do with anything but are the two USB ports on which the Seagate drive works properly USB2? I bought a Seagate USB3 external drive a couple of years ago that worked fine on a USB2 port but would "disconnect" for lack of a better word from Windows (Win 7 at the time) after a few minutes' use. I took it back to the retailer and replaced it with a WD USB3 drive which has worked fine ever since. Searches on the Interweb at the time revealed that I was not the only person having this issue with Seagate drives connected to a USB3 port.

Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy View Post
    This may have nothing to do with anything but are the two USB ports on which the Seagate drive works properly USB2? I bought a Seagate USB3 external drive a couple of years ago that worked fine on a USB2 port but would "disconnect" for lack of a better word from Windows (Win 7 at the time) after a few minutes' use. I took it back to the retailer and replaced it with a WD USB3 drive which has worked fine ever since. Searches on the Interweb at the time revealed that I was not the only person having this issue with Seagate drives connected to a USB3 port.

Rob
    The drive and all the ports are 3.0.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 986 Posts
    Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for the disk if you haven't already.
    Joe

Thanks
    gcjc, did you resolve the problem? How are the backups coming along?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    gcjc, did you resolve the problem? How are the backups coming along?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for the disk if you haven't already.
    Had not checked but have now and there is no firmware update.

Have not resolved the problem. However, I have tried yet another 3.0 hard drive in the port and it worked without an issue. Also, used the drive in question with another to transfer over 300gb of data and had no issue.

Guess, I will just have to remember to not use the drive in that port.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With it plugged into that port, go into Device Manager and check for Unknown Device or yellow alerts.

You can right click on the USB Controllers and select Update Software to see if Windows can find any drivers for them.

Try the same for the items in System Devices.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
    With it plugged into that port, go into Device Manager and check for Unknown Device or yellow alerts.

You can right click on the USB Controllers and select Update Software to see if Windows can find any drivers for them.

Try the same for the items in System Devices.
    Thanks for the suggestion. However, tried it and there were no alerts and the drivers search indicated that the best driver was already installed.

I just tried another USB cable to the drive and it still has issues. It repeatedly drops and picks up the drive. Files don't open and yet it works on the other ports.

However, yesterday I plugged in an external DVD player and burned a disc without issue. It is confusing and it would seem plausible to argue that it is either the port or the drive given the circumstances. Given the aggravation and time involved in transferring everything over I don't want to take this back and start over. At this point I guess I will stick with what I've got.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's a pity the ext. drive seems to be out of its 3yr warranty as you could have sent that back which could have at least eliminated that.

Thanks
    "...I guess I will stick with what I've got..." That's aok, just add routine backups of your data on that HD onto another external media, that should protect you from loss.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Does the drive have its own AC adapter? It may not be getting enough power from the USB port.

Another possibility: Some USB devices allow you to connect two USB cables (plugged into two USB ports), so that they will draw twice as much power than if they had only one cable. If that is an option, try two USB cables.

Thanks
    I had purchased two of the Seagate Slim SATA-USB adapters and then discovered they work fine in some ports of some machines but not perfectly in any of my machines other than my HP laptop...and then even that was dependent upon OS. At some time in the past Seagate had made some special drivers available for the Seagate Slim SATA-USB adapter but then made them (the drivers) inaccessible at their site. So overall, we each have whatever we have and the only way to be entirely rid of the Seagate Slim SATA-USB adapter problem is to replace it with something else.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 2017-04-20 at 21:11.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    I had purchased two of the Seagate Slim SATA-USB adapters and then discovered they work fine in some ports of some machines but not perfectly in any of my machines other than my HP laptop...and then even that was dependent upon OS. At some time in the past Seagate had made some special drivers available for the Seagate Slim SATA-USB adapter but then made them (the drivers) inaccessible at their site. So overall, we each have whatever we have and the only way to be entirely rid of the Seagate Slim SATA-USB adapter problem is to replace it with something else.
    Since it works in some USB ports but not in others, and this happens on more than one computer, I would say that it is a power issue. Evidently it is getting enough power (but barely enough) from the ports it works with; but not quite enough from the other ports.

I looked up the drive, and there is no port for an AC adapter on this drive, so you're stuck with drawing all needed power via the USB line. Therefore, what I suggest is that you unplug all other USB devices from the computer (including the mouse, the keyboard, flash drives, etc.), then plug in the hard drive. In this way, the drive will get the maximum USB power available; there will be no possibility of it having to share power with another device.

Thanks
    It sounds like you may need a Dual-Power USB cable to provide data and power+power to it:

dual-power_USB.jpg
    Click to enlarge

You can use USBDeview to check the power required by the device (on the local device only)... just check the Power column.

You could also use Microsoft USB View to check the supposed power output of each USB port. For example, in my ageing desktop I have an internal USB3 card installed. However, I haven't yet connected a SATA-2-MOLEX cable so it remains unpowered and data-only. As such, it can only be used with USB3 storage devices that have their own external power supplies.

USB_View.png
    Click to enlarge

I say 'supposed' power output because Microsoft USB View doesn't measure actual available milliamps, only what the port should be capable of delivering.

USB View is difficult to get hold of so I've attached a ZIP that includes it.

Hope this helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2017-04-21 at 10:55. Reason: Corrected typo

Thanks
    ...and make your routine backups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast