Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Well after the uninstall/reinstall I am back to where I was a few days ago. Excel does open, but first three REALLY LONG timeouts have to occur due to missing OLE components. Nothing else works. But that's OK. I can export to Excel, then copy into an Open Office spreadsheet and do what I need to do with it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 1,000 Posts
    I repeat try Office online. You get the latest versions of the Office suite free. They are not as full featured as the desktop version but more likely than not they will work fine.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspacer View Post
    The last version of Office I bought was 2007. I've kept it around because there are a few really stupid applications (like Sage 50 accounting) that open specific programs, rather than default ones. So if I try to export my accounting data to a spreadsheet, it tries to send it to Excel even if my default spreadsheet if Open Office.
    Brian:

I'd like to explore the process that your programs are using to send data to Excel. Can you list the steps that these programs follow? Are there options available, such as, Save vs Run/Open? If you can get these programs to save the data to a data file rather than "open" it in Excel, then you could open the saved data file with any program you want. In fact, you could associate the file extension (CSV, XLS, XLSX) with Open Office rather than with Excel (you may have already done that), so that when you double-click on the saved data file, it will automatically open with Open Office.

At my job, we have a SQL interface which allows us to run SQL queries; it then shows the results in a "spreadsheet" format. We can then either leave it in that format, save it to Excel format, or open it in Excel. Or, we can highlight the entire sheet, copy the highlighted data, open a new, blank Excel spreadsheet, and paste it into that spreadsheet.

If you can tell us the process that your software is following, we may be able to assist in bypassing Excel altogether and getting the data to go straight to Open Office.

Jim
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2017-04-19 at 10:14. Reason: corrected misspelling

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    BackSpacer,

If you don't need the latest and greatest you can get Office 2010 Pro for $28.00! My brother bought 2 of these last month and they worked flawlessly. Of course as always YMMV!

HTH
    Thanks RG! I picked up two of these also.

Tom

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I'd like to explore the process that your programs are using to send data to Excel. Can you list the steps that these programs follow?
    There are really two issues here. The main program that I have problems with is Sage 50 Premium Accounting. There is an Export to Excel button and that's what it expects to open. There are no options to choose other programs or anything. Every now and then I run into a similar problem with other software, but it is so seldom that I don't remember which. And those other problems become fewer and fewer as companies continue to update their products to modern standards.

The second issue is Excel itself. I just clicked it from the start menu, not from Sage. A fresh start, first time today. It opened and then the little blue circle spun for a full minute (I have a fast PC with an SSD C-drive.) Finally it produced a typically uninformative error message: "Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE operation." If I click OK immediately, there is another delay and the message pops up again. Same for a third time. But if I wait for a few minutes before clicking the first OK, then I only get that one message.

I don't actually use Excel, I just copy the data out of it, so I don't know if it works after this or not. I do know that it also experiences another long timeout after I click exit. Then the same error message appears. I have to click OK for Excel to close.

I could live with this, but after the last Windows update, it stopped opening at all. And I really needed to export some data from my accounting software. By some miracle I did find the original installation disk (one in a million odds there!) and tried to reinstall Office. It all failed, but somehow that did get Excel back to the timeout and error behavior. I can live with that for the time being.

Are there options available, such as, Save vs Run/Open? ... At my job, we have a SQL interface which allows us to run SQL queries; it then shows the results in a "spreadsheet" format...
    I looked around and I did find an option in the File menu that I hadn't noticed before where I can export to a CSV file. This can be opened by Open Office. Maybe this is my answer. I tried using this to export my current month's GL, but it generated a 0Kb file. I'll fool around and see if I can make this work. I may just have to figure out how to select what I want to export.
    The field selection screen does look like a front end for a database query.

If you can tell us the process that your software is following, we may be able to assist in bypassing Excel altogether and getting the data to go straight to Open Office.
    I really appreciate your offer, but since I've got Excel to where it will (barely) open again, and since you've guided me to this other exporting mechanism, I would hate to waste your time any further. I'm sure I can make one or the other work for my limited needs.
    Thank you very much for offering.

Thanks
    Brian:

You're not wasting my time at all. I did desktop support for many years, then a lot of years of helpdesk. On my current job, I use SQL queries to gather information, in order to provide user support. I love what I do and am glad to help.

Also, some (many?) of us deal with this same issue from time to time at our jobs.

The reason you're getting the Excel error message about the OLE operation is because apparently Sage (or maybe some other program) has asked Excel to do something, and Excel is waiting on the other program to finish what it is doing so it can then do what it was asked to do.

"OLE" means "Object Linking and Embedding", which means that an object from one program is either linked to another program, or it is embedded in another program.

Since Sage is obviously a legacy program (old, and continually patched to bring it "up to date"), it may not follow all of the modern Windows rules. Excel is following the rules, but Sage is not, hence the issues which you have described.

I think there are three possible ways that you can bypass Excel and go straight to Open Office:

1. Export to CSV, then open the CSV file in Open Office.

2. If available, display the data in some sort of query results screen. Highlight all of the displayed data, copy it, then paste it into a blank Open Office spreadsheet. (I can do this at my job.)

3. It's possible that there is a configuration area in Sage which will allow you to specify where Excel is located, or maybe which program you want to use for exporting the data. If you can specify the path and filename of "Excel", you could probably put the path and filename of the Open Office spreadsheet program. Or, there may be a config file that you could edit with that option.

Let us know how this all works out.

Jim

Thanks
    You're not wasting my time at all. I did desktop support for many years, then a lot of years of helpdesk. On my current job, I use SQL queries to gather information, in order to provide user support. I love what I do and am glad to help.
    That makes you very lucky. I doubt that most of us really love what we do that much.

The reason you're getting the Excel error message about the OLE operation is because apparently Sage (or maybe some other program) has asked Excel to do something, and Excel is waiting on the other program to finish what it is doing so it can then do what it was asked to do.
    It isn't Sage causing this because it also happens when I open Excel directly from the "start menu". (Or whatever faddish name Microsoft is using now.) But Excel is the only one of my Office 2007 applications which will open at all, so I suspect that there is some program that is common to Office that is causing the problem.

Since Sage is obviously a legacy program (old, and continually patched to bring it "up to date"), it may not follow all of the modern Windows rules.
    That was a masterfully diplomatic way of putting it. And spot on.

I think there are three possible ways that you can bypass Excel and go straight to Open Office:

1. Export to CSV, then open the CSV file in Open Office.
    It appears that I can do this, but so far no matter which options I select I always get the same four transactions - even when I know there are hundreds or thousands that should export. It's probably a legacy thing that nobody ever used, so they never fixed it when it broke.

2. If available, display the data in some sort of query results screen. Highlight all of the displayed data, copy it, then paste it into a blank Open Office spreadsheet. (I can do this at my job.)
    I can run a report - say a GL report for a specific period and/or account, for example. The output is all formatted with rows and columns, but is not copyable. They constrain things very tightly.
    Sage/Peachtree makes a lot of money selling specialized reports. There is no direct financial incentive for them to make the data available for users to manipulate themselves. This kind of thinking has plagued the company for as long as I've been using their products and is probably why they are becoming so marginalized that almost nobody uses them anymore. (I use their software because it's what I started with and it's so hard to change, but I bought shares in Intuit which have been very profitable for me. )

3. It's possible that there is a configuration area in Sage which will allow you to specify where Excel is located, or maybe which program you want to use for exporting the data.
    No. There is a small config area, but I have always found it frustratingly incomplete. The Excel link appears to be hard-coded and not changeable. It probably calls excel.exe from a standard Windows path variable. (Who knows, maybe the reason Office quit working is that the Window10 upgrade changed a path...)

Thanks
    There is lots of legacy software out there, but generally the only place you will find it is in major corporations, who have been using it for a very long time, and it will cost them a lot of time and money to change to something else, even if something else comparable is available. And so it is continually patched and patched, to keep it running in the modern day.

MS Office has not changed its default path, unless you have switched from 32-bit to 64-bit Office (or vice versa), or unless you have been using 32-bit Office in 32-bit Windows, and you are now using 32-bit Office in 64-bit Windows.

(Actually, that's not exactly true. As you burrow deeply into the Excel/Word/etc. path, the last folder in the path changes names as you move to a different version of Office. So Sage may be looking at the Windows registry to see where Excel is located. You might look for Sage settings in the registry; change them with care. I would not recommend changing any MS Office registry settings.)

I'd call their tech support and be a pest to them about the CSV export not working correctly. I think that's your best bet.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2017-04-21 at 15:51.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I repeat try Office online. You get the latest versions of the Office suite free. They are not as full featured as the desktop version but more likely than not they will work fine.
    Thank you, but I do not wish to deal with the cloud. I'm tired of being on the bleeding edge. I have had too many logins and such stolen from hacked websites (not my own!), credit card numbers stolen, and recently someone got my SSN and birthdate by hacking my health insurance company. That is extraordinarily bad news. When enough 20 year olds have their lives ruined by hackers, they will figure out the technological fixes to keep us all safe. Until then, I no longer trust any important or personal data to be off of my PC. And I keep serious protection on it.

{Lots of help.}
    Thank you for all your help.

I did that $28 upgrade to Office 2010 and everything seems to be working as well as it was designed to work. So now I need to get back to what I was trying to accomplish before this all went wrong.

Thanks, again, for everyone's help and advice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    If you don't need the latest and greatest you can get Office 2010 Pro for $28.00!
    And if you do need the latest and greatest, same seller has 2013 Pro and 2016 Pro for $26 and $31—I didn't check further, since I don't need, but great prices for sure.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1703; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12