Thanks

Unable to see second hard drive in Oracle VB installed OS

I have Oracle Virtual Box installed in Xubuntu Linux. In the VB, I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

On this computer, I have two hard drives: one is for the OS (Linux), and the other is for my data.

The problem is, I can't get Windows (in the VB) to see the second hard drive. I have created a shared drive (in the VB settings) pointing to the second hard drive; but how can I get Windows to see the 2nd drive? Or is there another method I should follow?

Thanks.

Jim

Thanks
    Jim

If the HDD the Windows VM can't see is the linux drive, it may be because Windows does not natively read a EXT file system which linux is often found on. IF that is the case there are drivers and programs that can allow access to read.(Writing is NOT recommended). I can not recommend any, I am using a Fat32 file partition to allow transfer betwix Linux and Windows.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I can see both drives just fine in Linux. And when I go into the settings for my Windows 7 VB session, I can create a share for the second drive, which means that the VB can see the drive. But for some reason, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the Windows VB session to be able to see it.

Someone mentioned Guest Additions. Perhaps if I install that, I'll be able to resolve this.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I can see both drives just fine in Linux. And when I go into the settings for my Windows 7 VB session, I can create a share for the second drive, which means that the VB can see the drive. But for some reason, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the Windows VB session to be able to see it.
    See it? As a lettered drive? Read the contents?? I am still not sure exactly what can't do what
    Someone mentioned Guest Additions. Perhaps if I install that, I'll be able to resolve this.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    As I recall Guest Additions are a must for a lot of functionality for VB.
    Been a while since I played around with VB.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Trying to find Guest Additions. It's not easy to find.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 990 Posts

Thanks
    Like VMware Workstation, you'll need the 'shared folder' support for VirtualBox provided by the Guest Additions.

It looks like installing VirtualBox's Guest Additions is similar to installing VMware Workstation's VMWare Tools, i.e. by mounting a virtual CD image from within the Guest OS. You should already have the ISO (called VBoxGuestAdditions.iso) in the installation folder of VirtualBox.

Have a look at Chapter 4. Guest Additions, particularly section 4.2.1.1, for more info.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2017-04-23 at 03:59.