3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can you Daisy Chain wireless routers ?

I have a situation where I would like two independent wireless networks off of one modem source.

The first wireless network connections would be off of a Netgear modem/wireless router combination unit.

The question is if I can connect a cable from one of the 4 LAN jacks on the back of this Netgear unit and plug the other end into a 2nd wireless router.

The idea is that one wireless connection would be public and the other private.

I've never done anything like this so have no idea how these public / private dual networks you typically see in hotels, inns etc. are set up.

Does anyone have any guidance they can lend on the subject? A quick online search show this is not an uncommon question but I'd like some input from the folks here.

Thanks,
    BH

Thanks
    You can set up a guest network and a private network on one router. Scroll through the router's setup screens, and you will find how to do it.

On the other hand, if you have two routers, both acting as routers, they will both be issuing IP addresses via DHCP, and they will not work well together. You will have problems if you do it that way.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    THANKS.......I guess I should have thought of that as a likely solution.
    BH

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You can set up a guest network and a private network on one router. Scroll through the router's setup screens, and you will find how to do it.

On the other hand, if you have two routers, both acting as routers, they will both be issuing IP addresses via DHCP, and they will not work well together. You will have problems if you do it that way.

Thanks
    In pedant mode, I point out that you could turn off DHCP on one of the routers.

I have a situation (clearly different from yours!) with two routers on the same LAN, each connected to a broadband line. One router provides DHCP, the other doesn't.
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 990 Posts
    A two router set up does not necessarily isolate the networks so you need to be careful with the design.

cheers, Paul