3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Parallel port printer

I am contemplating a replacement for a five year old laptop. The main issue is connecting a parallel port printer, HP LJ 1100, which I still greatly value.

Any new laptop is going to have Win 10 OS, and is not going to have a parallel port. I searched WSL for "parallel" + "port", found one post - HP LaserJet 1100A printer problem under Win7 - describing the same issue about two years ago, also with a HP LJ 1100. One of the replies pointed him towards a USB-to-parallel-port cable, available from Office Depot. Both the OP of that post and I live in the UK, so I am looking particularly for non-US Loungers who have solved this issue. Did you - the OP from that post - find such a cable other than from the US? Is there another way, apart from junking what, for me, is still a very serviceable printer with some excellent features?

Edited to add: I should have mentioned that the LJ 1100 has one of those non-standard micro centronics parallel ports that seemed to have been somewhat of a dead end in the early 2000s!

Last edited by JohnFleming; 2017-04-21 at 04:50.

Thanks
    I still have one and dug it out of my 'spares' box to take a photo.

USB_parallel_printer_lead.JPG
    Click to enlarge

It's just a standard 1.8 mtr USB cable with a parallel port at one end. There's no maker's name on it but, when plugged in, USBDeview shows a 'Vendor Name' of 'Agere Systems, Inc (Lucent)' and a 'Product Name' of 'USS720 Parallel Port'.

usb_printer_cable.png
    Click to enlarge

I no longer have a printer with a parallel port but I used this Parallel-to-USB cable for several different printers in its time with no drivers needed. Just plug in and go. It cost me about 10 at the time but I see they're now about 4.

EDIT: I've just seen your edit about the HP LJ 1100 having a mini-Centronics port. Amazon UK are selling what looks like a suitable USB cable. Have a look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Mini-Ce.../dp/B001RY0CA6. The comments/reviews seem to confirm it works with the HP LJ 1100 using Win 10.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2017-04-21 at 08:19.

Thanks
    Handy device to have in your toolkit! Although you'll probably never use it.

Great walk down memory lane!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps
    Handy device to have in your toolkit! Although you'll probably never use it.

Great walk down memory lane!
    I'm embarrassed to admit I had to dig past 2 beige AT keyboards, several PS/2 keyboards, two 56k internal modem cards and four 10/100 NICs to get to it, none of which I'll ever use. Shades of 'the hoarding is strong in this one'. Time for yet another clear-out.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick - many thanks for your help! It's reassuring to discover that I'm not the only one to have a bottom drawer full of out-of-date hardware. My wife will be SO pleased!

Jim - thank you, too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    ...two 56k internal modem cards and four 10/100 NICs to get to it...
    I can use the 2 modems, and the best 2 of NICs, how much do you want?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    My favorite tool is a PCI card that provides native PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports. Alas, no computers have had PCI slots for a very long time!

Years ago I bought a brand new, still in the shrink wrap, external CD-reader -- it plugged into the parallel port. The guy sold it to me for US$10! It sat on my shelf for a long time, still in the shrink wrap, till I finally opened the package and plugged it into the parallel port of my Vista-era eMachines computer. It didn't work, because the rules had changed, and it was no longer compatible. I had no real use for this device, other than as a trip down memory lane.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS
    I can use the 2 modems, and the best 2 of NICs, how much do you want?
    According to 'she who must be obeyed' my eyesight is rubbish. Apparently it's 6 x identical USB Robotics 2884 internal 56k modems.

MODEMs.JPG
    Click to enlarge

In addition it's 2 x SMC 1211 10/100 NICs and 1 x 3Com 3C905B 10/100 NIC.

NICs.JPG
    Click to enlarge

The 'real' boss (yes, dear, of course I meant you ) would love them to be gone so, if you're serious about wanting them, PM me. It's not appropriate to continue within this thread due to it being both off-topic and, I suspect, contrary to rule 12 (advertising).

Hope this helps...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not appropriate to continue within this thread due to it being both off-topic and, I suspect, contrary to rule 12 (advertising).
    Rick - you said it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    Rick - you said it!
    Yeah, sorry. Went off at a tangent. Mea culpa...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    It's not appropriate to continue within this thread due to it being both off-topic and, I suspect, contrary to rule 12 (advertising).
    The only issue I have with the advertising of a product or service is when it is offered independently, not as a solution to a problem. Anything that can help cure an issue should be fair game when done in Response to a question.