Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    JC,

Very interesting. I have 4 computers (2 Win 10 Home, 1 Win 10 Pro, 1 Win10 Insiders, and a WD MyBook Live on my network and they all work fine with SMBv1 disabled! The one laptop is dual boot W10/7 and it works on the network either way. Of course YMMV! and apparently does!

HTH
    Foot-in-Mouth.JPG

Well I guess that about says it all!

I got to thinking maybe I should re-test this. Even though I could access all my devices with SMBv1 disabled the items would not show under Network in File Explorer! I could access the items by typing the URL in the box, e.g. \\MyBookLive\CMShared... or \\DellXPS14z\sharename and the Mapped drives to the NAS worked as well as all my programs which search for connected devices. So File Explorer was the one exception.

So since all my devices showed NOT Vunerable with the Intel scanner I've turned SMBv1 back on for convenience.

Interestingly, this did not manifest in Win 7. With SMBv1 disabled the Network items populated as they should in File Explorer, go figure.

Sorry for the confusion!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2017-05-27)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the WS Newsletter dated 2017-05-25, Susan Bradley mentions some things that "could" go wrong if you disable SMBv1.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bundaburra For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2017-05-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a safe replacement for SMBv1 and where?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    There has only been a handful of ransomware attacks in history.
    This seems like a strange conclusion to reach, as there have been many millions of ransomware attacks over the last 12 years:

Examples of extortionate ransomware became prominent in May 2005.

in June 2013, security software vendor McAfee released data showing that it had collected over 250,000 unique samples of ransomware in the first quarter of 2013, more than double the number it had obtained in the first quarter of 2012

In December 2013, ZDNet estimated based on Bitcoin transaction information that between 15 October and 18 December, the operators of CryptoLocker had procured about US$27 million from infected users.

Norton by Symantec, one of the global leaders in cyber security software, found that globally, consumers are the most likely victims of ransomware, accounting for 57 percent of all infections between January 2015 and April 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware

Microsoft said its data intelligence tools blocked on average 200,000 exploit kit attempts per day during the last six months.
    Microsoft detects 400 percent ransomware increase

There are now more than 120 separate families of ransomware, said experts
    'Alarming' rise in ransomware tracked

Ransomware – using technology to extort money from victims - saw a 50 percent increase from last year’s report
    Cyberespionage and ransomware attacks are on the increase warns the Verizon 2017 Data Breach Investigations Report

Ransomware escalated across the globe as a profit center for criminals. Symantec identified 100 new malware families released into the wild, more than triple the amount seen previously, and a 36 percent increase in ransomware attacks worldwide.
    Symantec 2017 Internet Security Threat Report

The proliferation of ransomware families and the success attackers have had in compromising systems makes it highly likely these types of attacks will continue in 2017
    Ransomware expected to dominate in 2017
    Last edited by BruceR; 2017-05-28 at 10:09.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    Is there a safe replacement for SMBv1 and where?
    No, there are only newer versions.
    It is safe to leave SMB V1 installed as long as Windows is patched - the vulnerability is in Windows, not the SMB protocol.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since nothing broke after disabling SMB v1 (my NAS, network printer, etc. all work), I went ahead and disabled SMB v1, plus Windows is patched, and I have up-to-date security software and a firewall. So I should be more than set on this particular vulnerability. For those that still need SMB v1, it's OK to keep it enabled on a patched system (as mentioned), but good news is so far nothing has broken after disabling it on mine.

What was that crashing noise in the background? ;-)
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123