Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I'm afraid Ms. Bradley was misinformed in this instance, probably swayed by the initial run of news on this topic, many of which placed it firmly down to email attachments and use of XP, both of which have been found to be incorrect. As far as I can tell it affected W7 only and was not transmitted via an email attachment.

As indicated by "First off: As in many ransomware infections, ... " ransomware has generally been most associated with email attachments in the past.

I haven't seen that Special Edition of the WS Newsletter, it doesn't appear to be in the archives here and I don't have an email subscription. When was it dated?

Thanks
    [QUOTE][When was it dated?QUOTE]
    5/18/17, yesterday.
    ALSO, a supposed fix with links from Woody's site:
    WannaCry has been decrypted
    https://www.askwoody.com/2017/breaki...low-the-rules/

Remember, the original WannaCry worm ONLY infects Windows 7 computers. Anything you’ve read to the contrary is wrong.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2017-05-19 at 15:53.

Thanks
    Odd that Ms. Bradley hadn't checked out the more recent info, perhaps Penton sat on the article for a while.

Yes, I'd seen that article; hardly a 'fix' for anything, it only works to get your data back if you haven't rebooted. As many, if not most, computers affected in the outbreak are on business premises, it's very likely that anything displaying signs/symptoms would have been turned off (or at least disconnected from the network(s)) - it's transmitted via a worm, after all.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Lumpy, you say that the worm only affected Win 7, but it massively infected computers used by the NHS in the UK, the majority of which still use Windows XP.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Lumpy, you say that the worm only affected Win 7, but it massively infected computers used by the NHS in the UK, the majority of which still use Windows XP.
    I've seen no evidence that XP machines were hit by this outbreak, only early reports claiming that XP and email attachments were to blame, both of which appear to have been incorrect, aka fake news.

XP can be infected by this malware, the French researcher manually infected an XP machine in his first attempt at finding a method to recover the key used for decryption/file recovery.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    it massively infected computers used by the NHS in the UK, the majority of which still use Windows XP.
    Not so! A couple of badly managed trusts were affected.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, sorry to disagree but when the infection broke out it was all over UK news broadcasts that upwards of 40 NHS trusts were affected.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T
    Not so! A couple of badly managed trusts were affected.
    I think the confusion may have arisen due to the press making little distinction between individual hospitals and the trusts that manage them. For example, The Guardian reported 40 NHS trusts were affected whilst wired.co.uk reported 'As many as 40 hospitals, across 24 trusts'.

Either way, it appears to have been more than a couple...

Hope this helps...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Paul T (2017-05-22)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12