3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Modem recognition

Whenever I connect to the Net using my modem, if I turn the modem on AFTER I have started Windows XP it brings up a range of different error messages eg, A devie attached to the system is not functioning or modem device not located etc.

However if I turn on the modem BEFORE starting up XP there doesn't seem to be this problem.

Any suggestions, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem several times without any change.
    Dax

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Modem recognition

In the past on ALL windows OS's it was best to have the modem turned ON before booting. This was so the com port would be set up properly. However you were able to do a reset of the modem, i.e. turn it off and then back on. Also the problem may be that fact that the modem and /or drivers are NOT 100% XP ready.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modem recognition

Hi
    Like 2k, XP 'remembers' the settings you had when you last switched off. This is supposed to speed up booting. Your modem is probably not really plug'n'play (if it is external and either serially connected or USB), so XP is not bothering to find it.
    If you have not switched on your modem before booting, go to Device Manager, RClick Modems and 'Scan for Hardware Changes'. This makes XP detect your modem properly.
    Two possible courses of action suggest themselves :
    1. switch all your devices off together
    2. leave the modem on permanently.

Rgds