Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 97 Macro Won't Work under Win XP Pro (Office 97)

Since installing Office 97 under Win XP Pro, I cannot get the following simple macro to work. It simply calls the FileOPen dialog to show both .doc and .dot files. But when I try to run it, I get a message box saying that I do not what access to the folder (current FileOpen directory followec by *.dot at the end). It says to see my administrator to gain access. Then, the FileOpen dialog appears showing only .doc files rather than both.

I do not know aht is happening but this is the macro. Could someone test it and see if it works on your XP machine please? Or, maybe someone can point me to a solution. Your help is greatly appreciated. So far no answer. Here is the simple macro.

Sub FileOpen()
    With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
    .Name = "*.doc;*.dot"
    .Show
    End With
    End Sub

Thanks for your help.

Gary Hunt

Thanks

Re: Word 97 Macro Won't Work under Win XP Pro (Office 97)

We don't have any copies of Windows XP in house, but I'm curious: If you try to do this interactively, rather than with the macro, do you get the same error? Can the macro be made to with with *.*? How about *.do*? If you use either of those, does it actually show the .DOT files?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Neither one of those works. It gives the same message box and then brings up the dialog showing .dot files only or .doc depending on what was last opened. It is strange. Thanks for your reply. Hope I or someone can get to the answer.

Gary Hunt

JustCallMeAl

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? Our office is getting hit with this problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does it work if you set WinXP to run in Win2k compatibility mode?
    Charlotte

JustCallMeAl

I have found a solution to this in MS's knowledge base. Do a search with the error message as your search terms, and you will find the answer. Depending on what version of Word you have, the fix is either getting a file from MS or making changes in the registry.

Lounger
    Thanks

Your macro runs fine on my Windows XP/Office 2002 machine. We had a few similar problems when converting from Windows NT/Office 97, but ours were solved when we changed our macro security settings to security level low or medium and our trusted sources to "trust all installed add-ins and templates" and "trust access to visual basic project".