New Lounger
    Thanks

Reformat with XP

I have windows Xp and I want to reformat. I'm not exactly sure how to get started. I have a Dell and when I bought it it had windows 98 on it. So the only boot disk I have is 98. I also have win98 startup disk. I need to know how to reformat my hard drive.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reformat with XP

Try booting with the Windows XP CD. It will offer the option to format any existing hard drive partitions as part of setup.

If you can't boot from CD, you can create a boot floppy from Windows 98 and then boot with that, with or without CDROM support...and then enter the following command once it's done:

<pre>FORMAT C: /S</pre>

You will get a threatening prompt about destroying all you existing data on the fixed disk. Answer yes, and walk away for a while - if it's a large hard drive it could be some time before it's done.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

I should of said in my first post, I dont want to put XP back on until I upgrade my processor. I do have a boot floopy for win98. What now?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Not sure why you are waiting; a processor upgrade won't gum things up. That is, if it's just a drop in replacement on the motherboard. At any rate, if you want to wait, don't format until you're ready!
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm ready. I only have a 433 processor and I dont want to put XP right at this time because I'm not planning on getting one real soon. Money wise anyways. I'm not sure how much they cost. I have to call Dell. Things are just acting goofy. So I thought I'd put my 98 or ME back on. Just start fresh.