Lounger
    Thanks

Template Conflict (MS Word 97 or 2000)

Lets say I've just created a New Special Template called Book.dot

I've designed this Template with Section Breaks, Styles, etc. specifically for writing a book.

In this Book Template, I modify my basic Built in Styles (like Header, Footer, Headings, Body Text, etc.) and base the Root Styles (i.e Heading 1, Body Text) on No Style, and then base their related styles (i.e Heading 2, Heading 3, Body Text 2, etc.) on their Parent Style in the Hierarchy.
    (i.e. Heading 6 will be based on Heading 5, 5 on 4 , 4 on 3, 3 on 2, 2 on 1 , etc.)

Then I create a Document based on this Book.dot Template - and write the Book.
    When The book is finished - I send the Word File to the Publisher for Review, Editing, etc.

The Publishing Company copies the file to their computer which has MS Word on it..

What happens when they open the file on their computer?

They have Word's Normal.dot Template on their pc, but they don't have my Book.dot Template on their pc.
    So when they open my Book Document on their pc - will the Formatting in my file be altered, changed, or messed up?

I know that I could send the Publisher a copy of my Book.dot Template to insert in their Templates folder on their pc, but let's assume that I do NOT do that.

They open my Book File on their pc but they don't have my Book.dot Template on their pc.
    Does the Formatting in my file get changed as a result?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Template Conflict (MS Word 97 or 2000)

Documents are supposed to retain the style definitions of the template from which they were created. Can things, nevertheless, go wrong? Definitely.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ideally, your styles should go with the document, regardless of whether or not your underlying template is there, too. However, there is one VERY IMPORTANT thing to check.

Open your new document (not the template, but the actual document itself). Go to Tools|Templates & Add Ins. Uncheck the "Automatically update document styles" button. Make a small change (add/delete a character, for example) in your document, and then save it. If you leave this checked, the (presumably default, but possibly modified) styles from your editor's computer *could* end up overwriting your modified styles in the document. I haven't played with this, but I believe that a document based on a template *other* than normal will look for a normal.dot if it can't find the specified underlying template (in your case, the book.dot). However, if you have that option I mention unchecked, nothing from the editor's normal.dot should overwrite your document.

Another option, if you're particularly concerned, is to create your own styles rather than modifying the built-in styles (especially relevant for body text and/or heading styles). This way, your styles will move with the document, and even if the document is "updated" from the editor's computer, your custom-named styles won't be affected (I tend to use H1, H2, H3, etc., in place of the built-in heading styles, for exactly that purpose).

Hope that helps...

klyjen

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi,

Just confirming your observation, if you open a document on a computer which doesn't have on it the template that the document is based on, as a fallback Word will assign Normal.dot as the template for that document (even though if you look in Properties > Summary, you'll still see the shortname of the original template).

At our firm the custom house style templates were set up with style names that are different from Word's built-in style names. My understanding is that the main reason for doing that was to make it more likely that our styles would look like our styles, when opened on other firms' computers.

But, a question, which I haven't tested either: since these custom-named styles are themselves all based on Normal style at root, when one of our documents is opened on another firm's PCs, will the definition for Normal style in that user's Normal.dot affect the Normal style in our document, and any differences then flow up through all the linked styles? - I guess you're saying that as long as Automatically Update isn't on (Off is our default), our definition of the document's styles will stay intact - pretty easy to check I know, just haven't thought to do so! .

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The answer to your question, based on my experience and research, is no--a style based on the Normal style will look at the Normal style in that document, rather than at the Normal style in the underlying normal.dot. Yet another bit of confusion relating to MS having two "normals"--a style, and a template.

This I have checked, and as long as that Automatically Update Document Styles is UNCHECKED everywhere (I can't imagine that you'd ever want to use it, unless you're a publishing house that requires absolute conformity across all of your documents) you should be okay. However, changes to the Normal style in your document will continue to affect your document as they should.

Your firm's practice (using non-default style names) is a good one, imnsho.

klyjen