4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upload Time vs. Download Time?

My website is a little over 35MB in size, yet uploads to my server in approximately 10 minutes. If I were to download anything that size, such as a .wav file, it would take forever. What gives? Thanks.

MF
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upload Time vs. Download Time?

Where are you getting the 35MB figure from? Figuring in compression (since a website is comprised of a lot of text) that's not really unusual. WAV files and other downloadable items are not usually compressable - they are already in their optimum form for transfer (e.g. compressed already in some manner). At least, we hope they are.
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MJ,

It must be because I am uploading to a local server (my server is OLM.) I tested my speed at dslreports per your suggestion; & you were right: download is faster (download was 42kbps...upload 22kbps.) Thanks (& thanks for moving my post to the appropriate forum.)

mark4man
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

That's the opposite experience of most users - since most services advertise faster download times.

Two things come to mind:
    you are uploading to a local server and not out to the internet. The upload doesn't go past the ISP's realm and it should go at the full speed allowed.

the site you are downloading from is jammed or their connection to the net is slow.

Try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dslreports.com>http://www.dslreports.com</A> and do a speed check. (works for any connection type, not just DSL) It will give you an idea of your expected up and download times.