Mookie

Protect cells in Word 2K table?

Is there a way to protect or 'lock' cells in a table in Word 2000 to facilitate editing by those slightly less computer literate than necessary?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Protect cells in Word 2K table?

Hi Mookie (great name!),

Can you give a little more practical detail of what kind of protection you're looking for?

It's pretty easy to create forms documents, which are often formatted using tables, and which permit user entry only in specified fields.

In a regular, unprotected document, you can build in certain limits in tables - for instance you can set the height of a row to an exact value. This tends to not be very practical - if the user types more than will fit in the cell, the text just starts disappearing below the bottom of the cell.

Gary

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mookie:

You cannot lock individual cells in Word. You can protect a row by using section breaks, but not individual cells. However, if you have Excel, you can lock individual cells in Excel & then paste the table into Word. The cells will remain locked.

Hope this helps.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Can you really lock cells by pasting from Excel?

I just tried pasting in a table (4 cells) with column 1 unprotected and column 2 unprotected (O2K SR1). It didn't work. I'd be delighted if it did?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Geoff:

I reread the source of my tip. You're right, you can't just paste the table. You have to insert the table as an Excel object. Of course, then you edit the table by double-clicking the object, & editing it in Excel. It will keep individual cells protected, however.