Lounger
    Thanks

Frame Advantages (MS Woed 97-2000)

I'm really puzzled about something. I just looked at a basic Technical Document which contains several basic Tables, a Table of Contents, an Index ,a Numbered List, a Table of Figures, and a Table of Authorities..

The Writer used the Built In Styles which are based on the Normal.dot Template for all of these.

I went into Format - Style and looked at each of the above Styles - To my Amazement - every one of them by Default has a Frame placed around it.

Why does Word's Normal.dot Template by Default place a Frame around these Styles?
    What is the advantage or purpose?

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Frame Advantages (MS Woed 97-2000)

Hi:
    Normal.dot does not place a frame around each of it's built in styles. If you saw a document that had frames around each of its styles, it's because the author modified the styles. A frame has the advantage of being placed anywhere on the page. It's not the only way to place various elements on a page, however. Text boxes offer some advantages & disadvantages and tables offer another way to place text or graphics in specific places.

In addition to posting specific questions regarding Word, you also seem to have many general questions, so I'm going to make a few suggestions.

1. Get the Word CD, so that you can add online help. It's absolutely invaluable & you'll find examples & basic explanations.
    2. Get a good book on Microsoft Word. For basic information, Woody has a book. Also, Microsoft Press has "Running Word for Windows". I haven't checked their latest version, but they're usually pretty good. Also, "Using Word 2000" by Bill Camarda (Que publisher) is pretty good.
    3. Keep posting questions, but make sure that you have some references as backup.

I almost forgot. Here's what Word help has to say regarding frames vs. text boxes:

Use a text box when you want to do any of the following:
    Make text flow from one part of a document to another part by linking the text boxes.

Create a watermark containing text that appears on the printed pages of a document.

Format the text container by using the options on the Drawing toolbar. You can apply 3-D effects, shadows, border styles and colors, fills, and backgrounds.

Rotate and flip text boxes.

Change the orientation of text in a text box by using the Text Direction command (Format menu).

Group your text containers and change the alignment or distribution of them as a group.
    Use frames when your text or graphics contain the following:
    Comments, as indicated by comment marks.

Footnotes or endnotes, as indicated by note reference marks.

Certain fields, including AUTONUM, AUTONUMLGL, AUTONUMOUT

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Frame Advantages (MS Woed 97-2000)

Thanks Phil - I appreciate the info.

I was just kind of baffled when I went into Format Styles and was checking out how this person setup their basic Style configurations and lo and behold when I went into Format -Style-Format-Frame in Text Wrapping, Around was selected in all these Styles.

So I was wondering - Why would anyone want to put a Frame around a TOC, an Index, a Numbered List? etc. This person just went hog wild putting Frames around all these things!

Thanks again.