2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Emergency Repair Disk

I have had a new computer with Win2000 for a few months. Last week Windows refused to work, so after the usual tries to repair I tried to use the WRD which I had created when installing Win 2000, but got a weird message and was unable to use the ERD.

After re-formatting the HD (38Gb) and re-installling Win 2000 I made another ERD, and this time tried it out by rebooting with the ERD in the A: drive. The following message appeared on the screen -
    "NTLDR is missing" "press any key" pressing a key just brought the same message back.

Please can someone tell me what NTLDR is, how to find it and how to make a good ERD!

Thank you for all help.

NoelM

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Emergency Repair Disk

The problem that you are having is actually simple: the ERD is not a bootable disk.

To use the ERD, you must first start the NT install process using the four floppies that you create from the CD. Once the OS loads (and believe it or not that really is Windows 2000, just no GUI), select the repair option. You will be asked to provide the ERD at that time.

Remember, the ERD is not a backup of your software. It's jandy for restoring a previous group of settings though.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much - I just did not realise that - might well have saved me a great deal of time.

Anyway I know now!

Best wishes,

Noel

Lounger
    Thanks

I piggy-backed on this thread and created 4 disks from my w2k CD. When I tried to boot from the disks, I got a message on the first disk saying Disk I/o status 0000200. NTDETECT FAILED.

Any idea why?

TIA

Jon

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jon,

I am a real newie so my advice is not worth much, but is looks to me that the first Boot disk is either corrupt or did not create properly. I do not think you need to make the boot disk set (4 disks) from the CD. I just went to Help and typed in Boot Disk and it took me to the appropriate place to create the disk set.

Hope that helps and good luck.

NoelM

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Most likely the floppy you are using has a bad area on the disk. For boot floppies I always use brand new disks to avoid something like this happening.

The NTDETECT FAILED message essentially means that the required OS loading files could not be read from the source - so try to create a new boot floppy using a breand new disk and see if that solves the problem for you.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Problem solved. They should all be this simple. Thanks

Jon[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]