New Lounger
    Thanks

Opinions on using Clear Type Fonts

Looking for an opinion from the group...I've discovered in WinXP Home Edition Clear Type fonts.
    It does make for smoother, easier type reading. But, I wonder if using this (instead of Standard)
    uses more cpu or RAM resources?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opinions on using Clear Type Fonts

I think you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the two. The only way to check is to measure your non-cleartype CPU usage versus the in-use useage (if that makes any sense).

And even if there is a small cut in performance, the increased legibility may well make that a non-issue.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick feedback Mark...you're probably right!

Thanks

Just for your interest, I got this in today - the latest Newsletter from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.win2kpowerusers.com/>win2kpowerusers.com</A> (although the site hasn't actually been updated to include this one yet!)

<hr>
    ClearType Made Clear(er)

The more I play with XP, the more I start to see why some of the "eye-candy" features were put in there in the first place. I spent an inordinate amount of time staring at a computer screen during the day, so anything that makes the experience that much more comfortable for me is welcome.

Consider ClearType. Originally developed for the PocketPC and Microsoft Reader as a way of making LCD displays easier on the eyes, it's now been put into Windows XP as a standard feature. The idea is elegant -- it uses a special subsampling algorithm to make fonts look smoother -- but the results are often mixed.

For one thing, it works much better on LCD displays than it does on CRTs. ClearType was originally developed as an LCD display solution, so when used on a CRT, the results can be extremely muddy. It doesn't even work on all LCD displays, either: my laptop computer's display has the RGB elements in the wrong order from what the ClearType algorithm is hard-coded to use, so the results look terrible. I've talked to Microsoft about a solution to this problem, and while they're aware of it, they don't have one. Personally, I don't think it's all that difficult to provide an alternate version of the .DLL that controls ClearType for the machines that need it, so this sounds rather dodgy to me. Finally, turning on ClearType can slow down display rendering by, well, a lot.

I ran with ClearType turned off since I installed XP, but after upgrading to a newer version of my display drivers I decided to give it another go. The revised driver claimed to provide better support for XP-exclusive features. No harm in trying. And sure enough, the speed problems I'd experience before with ClearType were gone -- the system was just as fast with it turned on as it was without. And while digging around in the XP help files, I found something else of note: an on-line ClearType tuning utility.

The utility is at this address:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/cleartypeactivate.htm>http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleart...ypeactivate.htm</A>

When you go to it, it activates ClearType (if it isn't turned on already) and lets you customize the gamma and contrast levels of ClearType. The default settings were way too high for my display; I switched to the second-lowest setting, hit Apply, and was amazed with the results. I've left ClearType on since. I did need to play with my contrast and convergence controls a bit (they were off-target anyway), to refine the results, but the difference between the tweaked and default settings even without that were striking.

If you're paranoid about your system, be advised that the page does install a. DLL called CLEARADJUST.DLL, and some ClearType-related Registry entries, but nothing else beyond that.<hr>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your feedback Leif. I also found the "tuning" site for ClearType and used it. It has improved the readability very much. I'm going to experiment somemore with performance, but it doesn't appear to be a "hit" to me so far.