New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2002 and McAfee AV v6.01 (Outlook 2002 SP-1)

Hi,

I am interested if others have any experience using McAfee A-V with Outlook 2002? when I have the AV features enabled in McAfee and the add-in enabled in Outlook I experience frequent Outlook crashes. I suspect that perhaps something in one program or the other is not installed or configured correctly but experimenting has helped diagnose the problem.

If someone else has experienced this problem and solved it please let me know and if necessary we can take the discussion offline.

Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2002 and McAfee AV v6.01 (Outlook 2002 SP-1)

My experience with McAfee and Norton AV products with Outlook 2002, 2000, 98, whatever, shows that both programs are rather poorly written resource hogs. My constant advice now is to go with <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.antivirus.com>Trend Micro's PC-Cillin 2000</A>. The only reason many people don't know of TrendMicro is simply because they don't have cozy OEM deals like the big two. No financial or other interest in the company, just someone who has spent way too much time dealing with the problems McAfee and Norton cause.

PC-Cillin updates its virus definitions on average about once every two days, prompts the user to download the updates as soon as they are available so long as the PC is connected to the internet, the downloads are quick, and updating does not require rebooting the machine.

So, my advice is to ditch McAfee ASAP. I know it will probably set you back another $30US, but for the added stability using Outlook and other programs and excellent AV protection, IMHO it's well worth it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2002 and McAfee AV v6.01 (Outlook 2002 SP-1)

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it.