New Lounger
    Thanks

Crashes when closing Word & normal.dot (Word 2002 SP-1 on Win 98SE)

Hi,

I am experiencing a repeated problem where Word crashes when closed. If I delete normal.dot the problem goes away for one cycle. The next time that Word is closed or normal.dot is saved the problem will re-occur and trigger Word's recovery mode. Saves of other documents are usually fine. If I try to customize the toolbars and manually save normal.dot I am again ok for one save then the problem re-occurs. Any one have ideas here?

I hoped installing SP-1 would fix the problem but it hasn't.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Crashes when closing Word & normal.dot (Word 2002 SP-1 on Win 98SE)

Hi, Rob. Some questions that will help us help you:

(1) What kind of message do you get on the crash, e.g., illegal operation, in Kernel32.dll, vbe6.dll, etc.

(2A) What, if any, global templates do you have loaded?

(2B) If you start word with the /a switch (c:<programpath>winword.exe /a) can you exit without problems?

(3) Are you "clean" as far as viruses are concerned?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for responding. Let me see if I can answer the questions:

1) all I get is the "Automatic Recovery" window that asks if I want Word to attempt to recover my work, restart Word, and tell M-Soft about the problem.

Note:If I *intend* to quit Word then sometimes I can shut down normally since I changed my preferences to cause Word to prompt me before saving normal.dot and if I tell it no, sometimes that will cause Word to go ahead and close. The error however may occur during files saves of files other than normal.dot.

2A) I'll have to go look at that. The following is listed when I checked: wopr_ui, FloppyCopy, Woprlib, Print Tools, TBRUN9, Word Counter. Didn't see anything else. I have the Microsoft Reader installed also but the problem existed prior to that being installed.

2B) yes, it closes without an error.

3) yes, did a virus check this weekend with both McAfee and Nortons. McAfee is loaded all the time.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Based on 2A and 2B, one of those global templates probably is the problem, or maybe one is incompatible with the others. Like the process of tracking down a food allergy, the usual recommendation is to try an "elimination diet": drag all those templates out of the Startup folder and gradually adding them back one by one until the problem recurs. The quick diagnosis might be: which one was installed last?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again,

Good news. Following your suggestion, I have found the "problem" add-in. I didn't notice it earlier but "wrdemo.wll" was active. This was a demo version of OfficeRecovery.com's word document recovery tool Apparently the 8/01 version was incompatible with the rest of my configuration. Disabling it has (apparently) fixed the problem.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,