New Lounger
    Thanks

probs w/ file opening (office xp pro)

alright:
    when i try to open an existing office file, such as .doc, .xls etc. i get an error which says:
    CANNOT FIND THE FILE 'D:Planner.xls' (or one of its components. please make sure the path and filename are correct and that all req. libraries are available.

BUT, i can launch excel or word, and then open the file from there. i just can open it by itself.
    i now this may be a dumb question but this problem is VERY ANNOYING. i haave reinstalled SEVERAL times. PLEASE HELP

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: probs w/ file opening (office xp pro)

Depending of what version of Windows do you use,
    from Windows Explorer (or "My Computer") click Tools | Folder Options | File Types tab, then choose one of problem types (say, DOC) and find Actions (it's different in different versions of Windows - Customize, Advanced and so on), point to Open command and click Edit button. Make sure that "Use DDE" checkbox is checked and DDE Message is:
    [REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")]
    For XLS files DDE message is [FileOpen("%1")];
    For MDB - [SetForeground][ShellOpenDatabase "%1"].

Another words, make sure that "%1" switch is present and enabled.

New Lounger
    Thanks

hey thanks for the help. BUT, the %1 swith is already present in the file ext. if it help, im running win2k pro.
    thanks agian for the help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

In your example, the file path/name contains a space, and this is what the " marks around %1 address. If they are missing, the application tries to open a file whose name ends with the character just before the space. Do you have the problem with file paths/names that don't contain a space (as in your original post)? If so, it probably is something else.