New Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt Word files (Office 97 )

All of my .doc files have become corrupted. Style has defaulted to plain text and my font has defaulted to courier new. All of my documents have countless page breaks and column breaks, as well as different symbols for numerous pages. I now have page counts of 15-20 on what used to be a 1-2 page document. I researched and thought it might be melissa virus but I scanned it with symantec with the most recent update. Throughout it has references to the file name, MS Ofiice and MS Word, as well as the path to a networked printer I use at work. This occured within the last week or two. I reformatted my HD just to see if it would fix it, but I wouldn't be writing if it had. Documents I have made since this occured have remained unaffected. If anyone understands what is happening, or can direct me to a source that might, I would appreciate it. I have attached a file if anyone dares. Thanks! SB

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Corrupt Word files (Office 97 )

In your File > Open dialog, in the Files of type: dropdown, it's not by any chance set to "Recover text from any file"?

New Lounger
    Thanks

no...document is attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

The header of the document is corrupted, so Word cannot interpret it properly. That is not to say there is nothing else wrong with the document

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have backup to these docs on CD. The same happens if I open these from the CD.

Thanks

If you backed up the files before the corruption started, that seems impossible. If you backed up after, then I would expect them to be corrupted as well. Do you use any folder or disk encryption software?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to restore my backup on another PC did not work so my backup must be corrupt too. Now the question is, is there anything that can fix this? I tried WordRecovery but it did not work very well.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That file is in bad shape.

I know Jeff has already asked, but is there anything like document management software, or anything other than a standard save to hard drive, that this file has been subjected to?

Other questions:
    Are you working on a standalone or on a network?
    If on a network, are you the only user who is getting this problem?
    If on a standalone, did you install any new hardware or software at the time this occurred?

Also, you mentioned that files newer than a certain date are OK - Could you clarify? Is it the case that all files from date X and before are corrupted, but all files after date X are not?

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did nothing unusual to these files or my system. There were no installs and I have not done any encryption to these files. I am on a standalone PC. To clarify, All of the word files on my system after date X are corrupt. Any new files created are not affected. Thanks to all who have responded to my pleas for help in this matter.