Lounger
    Thanks

List Formatting (MS Word 97)

I just created 2 Sequence Number Fields - one for a Numbered List (1 2 3) and one for an
    Alpha List (a b c ) in MS Word 97.

I then went into AutoCorrect and added the 2 digit codes.
    Everything is OK except when I start a Number List (1 2 3) there is no period after the number
    it comes out 1 instead of 1.
    When I start the Alpha List (a b c) it comes out a - there is no parenthesis after the letter a)
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] c) etc.

In AutoCorrect - in the with box - I tryed to enter a period after the 1 and a ) after the a -
    but you cannot enter the with box to add the . after the number or the ) after the letter.
    The with box is inaccessible - you cannot enter it to add the . or the )

Is there anyway to add the . after the number and the ) after the letter so it automatically
    comes out that way, 1. and a) or do you just have type it in manually?

Also - on the number list - in single digits - all the numbers are Left aligned evenly
    but when you get to double digits (10 11 12) the double digit numbers are not left aligned
    with the single digit numbers:

they come out:
    it should be:

How do I get the double digit numbers to left align with the single digit numbers?
    Thanks much

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: List Formatting (MS Word 97)

Well, I tried this in Word 2000 and it seems to work for me -- if I am following what you are describing. I inserted a SEQ field with an arabic switch, typed a period after it, selected both items, and created an AutoCorrect entry for xx. When I type xx, I get the code followed by a period. Is this what you are trying, or am I not understanding?

Good luck,
    Christie

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes Christie - that's precisely what I did -in MS Word 97 - I made several entries because I was curious about how double digit numbers would look - and they don't right align properly.

Thanks

Have you tried using a decimal tab or a right tab?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The majority of people ignore the fact that the digits don't line up on a right align because nobody is trying to add them together to get a total.

If you want the right side to align then you need to place a tab in front of the number and add a right tab or decimal tab in the style that you will be using for the list. This will mean that each paragraph of your numbered lists will begin with a tab.

To get the tabs into the AutoCorrect, delete the current entry and place in a new one with the same name that does contain the tab (and choose the Formatted option).
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the help on this. I - went into my List Number Style and spent about 4 hours playing around with the settings - you have to correlate 3 settings together: the left indent, the hanging indent, and the tabs. man was this a pain - I finally got them to line up

I used a Right Tab - I didn't think of using a decimal tab.
    Is a decimal tab more discrete, more accurate than a Right Tab in trying to align something this precisely?

Thanks again to all for the help.