2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Secured Database

I had a little panich when I was testing my secure database after setting in on the shared drive. I double clicked the .mdb file instead of using the shortcut (which includes the /wrkgrp switch)and it opened without the logon screen. This was not what I expected. It opened using the system.mdw workgroup file which included user & Admin.

Is this correct? This means that anybody that has access to the shared folder can view all the data.

What do I need to do to prevent this?

Thanks, Simon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Secured Database

That's exactly what it means, and it's the reason you remove all permissions from the Admin user in a secured database. You can also add some code to the database (both front and backend if it's split) that runs at startup and tests to see who the user is. If the user is Admin, it simply closes the application. They can still get around that if you leave the bypass key enabled, but if all permissions have been removed for Admin, they can't do anything.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

However, I think there is something about making sure there is an owner, other than Admin who has full permissions before you take away Admin's permissions. Otherwise you can never alter anything.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're right, and I skated right over that in my response.
    Charlotte