New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook MailMerge (2002)

Anyone! Help!

I want to create mailing labels from Outlook 2002 (XP) Contacts. I have Outlook Express as my email, but I use Contacts and Calendars in Outlook XP. I have been bounced from Contacts to Word XP, asked for an Exchange server name (which I don't have), and became stuck in the new complicated XP Mail Merge wizard.

Here's one method I tried: Created a separate view in Contacts using only desired fields for labels. Selected Tools > Mail Merge from Contacts. Selected "All contacts in current view" and "Contact fields in current view." In the contact data file section, I put a checkmark to create a permanent document (if I didn't, the results were impossible to find). Under Merge options, I selected Mailing Labels. When I clicked [OK], I was bounced to Word XP and below is what happened.

Dialog: Outlook has prepared a MailMerge document and prepared your contact data for you. In order to complete the setup for Mailing Labels you have to press the "Setup" button in section 1 of the MailMerge helper dialog.

Action: I pressed [OK], the MailMerge helper dialog appeared and I selected "Setup" for section 1. I set up the mailing labels choice, clicked [OK] and clicked [Close].

Result: A blank label page with the MailMerge toolbar available. No codes, no data.

Is there a simple method here? Anyone completed this task successfully?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook MailMerge (2002)

Sara

Purely guessing here as I do not have/ have not used XP ... but whenever I mail merge using Contacts data (admittedly in Outlook 2K on an Exchange Server) I process it from within Word and select Contacts as the Address Book)

Hope this helps

Cheers

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. In Office 2000 that is what I did also and it was a beautifully smooth interface. I expected XP to be a similar MailMerge method. It appears the rules have changed for XP. Applying the same logic and methodology from previous Office versions brought on more confusion than help.

I was able to get the labels merged once by second-guessing the MailMerge toolbar buttons (which have changed by location and icon image) and the MailMerge wizard (which is located in a panel on the right side of the screen similar to a help feature). However, I doubt I can easily repeat the procedure. It seemed to happen more by accident than by skill.

If you hear of anyone having a better experience than this, please have them get in touch with me.

Thanks for your time.

Sara

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sara

No probs ... sorry to hear that yet again, Micro$oft have taken a perfectly good usable feature and changed it ....

I'll let you know if we come up with anything else when we move to XP in next few months

Cheers

Mark