New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry more dual booting questions!

I currently run Win98 ME but would like to dual boot with Windows XP
    I have created a partition for Win XP using Partition Magic I have a separate partition for all data plus an fire wire external drive for backup.
    NAV 2001 is installed - can I leave 2001 installed on Win 98ME and install NAV 2002 on XP? or uninstall NAV 2001 altogether and install 2002 on both partitions? Same question with NU 2001/2.
    Should the WIn XP partition be hidden? and which file system - data and Win 98 ME both FAT 32
    If I like WInXP how do I delete WIn98 ME partition so as I can boot straight into XP?
    I have Partion Magic Boot Magic installed
    sorry for the stupid questions!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sorry more dual booting questions!

1. NAV must be installed separately for each Operating System - that means, you can have NAV2001 for Win98 and NAV2002 for WinXP, or any other combination.

2. If you formatted WinXP partition in NTFS it will be hidden for WIn98 anyway - it is not necessary to make it hidden. If you formatted WinXP partition in FAT32 (to me, it is not the best decision) - it's up to you.

3. It will be not so easy to delete system partition (in your case, Win98) and make boot partition (WinXP) bootable after such operation - you have to reinstall WinXP after it. I would recommend after deleting Win98 resize system partition (i.e. your C: ) to 8 MB or even less and hide boot menu from WinXP ( change to timeout=0 in boot.ini).

4. I srongly recommend uninstall Boot Manager before WinXP installation (WinXP has its own boot manager). If you use Partition Magic v.6 or below, it is not compatible with WInXP:
    "Incidentally, Windows XP includes NTFS version 3.1, which is newer than the version used in Windows 2000. This means that Windows 2000-era disk utilities--such as Diskeeper and Partition Magic 6--should not be used with Windows XP. If you want to use either of these applications, be sure you're using the latest, Windows XP-compatible version." (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/whistler.asp>Paul Turrott</A>).
    Consider to upgrade PM to v.7

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info - the situation is becoming clearer!
    If Win98 is FAT 32 and XP is NTFS, can they both transfer data onto a separate FAT 32 partition?
    I have latest version of PM
    If I want to keep Win 98 can I either re-install over the top or format and clean install without re-installing XP?
    Thanks in advance

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1. Yes, both OS recognize FAT32 format.

2. After formatting your system partition (your C: ) you MUST reinstall WinXP -- that means if you want to reinstall Win98 but not WinXP, you can delete everything from C: drive EXCEPT system files in C: root (ntdlr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini, io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com and so on).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Bothy Windows 98 and XP can read and write to FAT32 volumes. WIndows XP will simply not exist as far as 98 is concerned, for their is no native support for NTFS volumes in Win9x. you can download an NTFS file system driver for 9x systems over at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sysinternals.com>SysInternals</A>.

If you set up a dual-boot system to keep both, begin with Windows 98 and then install XP. If you re-install 98 after XP is already there, you will then have to repair XP in order to have access to it - not re-install but repair from the CD-ROM setup process.

I have always found that the NT/2000/XP boot loader is sufficient and effective for multi-booting different flavors of Windows.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the help and advice received.
    I am about to take the plunge and install XP Pro on a dual boot system
    I hope that if there are some concerns after the installation I can be permitted to ask some more basic questions!
    Rod Allen