New Lounger
    Thanks

Alphabetize Open File Dialog

Does anyone know how to set the default behavior of the Open File Dialog, and ALL other file dialogues, to show folder contents as "Detail" lines sorted by file name? In previous versions of Windows, I was able to set the default view to details and most of the time the display was alphabetized.

How can I do this in Win 2K?

- Walter Sloan / The SystemSmith, Ltd. / New York, NY 10021
    "Crafting Quality Systems since 1969"

- 212-327-1964 / FAX: 815-461-9216 / Reply: WaltS@TheSystemSmith.Com

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Alphabetize Open File Dialog

I don't understand your question. There is no "Open File" dialog in Windows 2000 (it is in Office 2000 applications: Word, Excel, etc). If you are talking about "Open With..." dialog application list, it is alphabetized. To see file details and sort the list by properties, choose View | Details in Windows Explorer menu or click a little arrow next to View icon (looks like a little table closer to the right side of the toolbar). There is the same icon in Office "Open File" dialog; you can choose "Details" view and sort the list by properties.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Every time you OPEN a file in a Window application, you are shown the FileOpen component of the Common Windows Dialog function that is built in to Windows.

In previous versions of Windows, the Open File Dialog shows files sorted in alphabetical order by name. In Win2K, they are NOT sorted.

I know that I can select details view and sort by name, 4 mouse clicks, EACH AND EVERY TIME I OPEN A FILE. I want Win2K to "remember" my preference and save me the clicks and potential carpel tunnel syndrome.

Are you aware of any function, or registry setting that will accomplish this simple task?

// Walt //

- Walter Sloan / The SystemSmith, Ltd. / New York, NY 10021
    "Crafting Quality Systems since 1969"

sjosephson

Enter the following search in Google-- office resizable "file open" -- some interesting results that address your issue. Essentially you are looking for a customized or tweaked comctl32.ddl