2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find/Replace # sign (97)

How do I replace the # sign in Access table? I need to remove them from the beginning and end of some records.

thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Find/Replace # sign (97)

Where are you seeing these characters? You can't *see* the beginning and ending of the records, you can only see what is in a particular field or fields.

Is this data that was imported and brought in odd characters or what? If you truly have a # embedded in one or more fields, you would have to use a combination of the Mid function and the instr function to find an remove them in Access 97. If you simply *see* pound signs in a field, it may mean something entirely different. Give us a little more information about what's going on.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If this is a one time event and you want to get rid of all occurences of # in your table or in just one column of your table, then just open your table and click the replace tool (in the Edit menu). Choose your options. Look for # and let the replacement line stay empty.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a email field that was a hyperlink. do automatically hyperlink to Lotus Notes I had to have the following in the hyperlink field: mailto:sherri@yahoo.com. I can't use a hyperlink in a report and the client wants to see the email address is some reports. so i copied and pasted the field into a new field that was text. When copying it created: #mailto:sherri@yahoo.com#. Need to replace the # signs with nothing.

Then, I'll come up with some code that when typing into the text field it automatically puts it in the hyperlink field.

thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should be able to do it on the fly in the query behind the report. Just use something like this:

EmailAddr: Mid([Email],2,Len([Email])-2)

This assumes the Email is the name of the field that holds the hyperlink. There isn't any real reason I can think of to store that text in the table since you can easily generate it on the fly.
    Charlotte