3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linking to Forms (Templates) in Word 2000 (2000)

I want to create a page on our Intranet that will link to the various forms/templates that I have already set-up as Work-group Templates in Word. Right now our folks access these from Word by selecting: File>New>(name of template); that way they can't corrupt the original.
    When I make the link in FP to the various forms/templates, the original of course, is the one linked to. The forms/templates are locked so there is only so much damage they can do to the actual form but they could by mistake save it after filling it in and then the original would be corrupted. Is there anyway to prevent this?
    I am wanting the same sort of thing I have in Word where folks actually access a new document template and not the stored template.

Thanks

Re: Linking to Forms (Templates) in Word 2000 (2000)

If the template that you are linking to is in on a secure webserver, the user will not be able to change the template. They can save a copy of the template to their own systems and beat it up but the copy on the server will be secure.

cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Catharine,
    I created a test template, made the link in FP, etc. Then I accessed the template from my Intranet, filled in the blanks and saved it. It let me! Now my test template is corrupt. I guess my webserver is not secure. Can I check that?
    PS
    I am a novice it this.

Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Catharine,
    Since my last post I have password protected all of my templates from modification. That works fine now, like you said - no one can save changes to my original template without the password.
    Thanks!

Thanks

What OS are you using? (on your webserver) if something like NT, typically file permissions preventing writing to the directory where the templates are stored are used. On the other hand this kind of thing can go wrong if you don't know what you are doing - so if your passwords work then that's just fine.

Cheers
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Catharine,
    My computer is Windows 98. FP is only installed on my computer. Our network is NT. My template file is saved on the network. Should this make a difference? So far, having a password to modify my templates seems to work.

Thanks

If your machine - using win 98 is the webserver, then your method is the only security you can apply.

Cheers
    WebGenii Home Page