Star Lounger
    Thanks

OfficeXP on Win2000

Woody's done it again (WOW 7.04 of 23Jan02):
    "Get Windows XP up and running, patched and stable on your machine. (That involves at least one run through http://www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com .) I tested the original Office XP extensively under Windows ME and Windows 2000, and had lots and lots of problems. I don't doubt that many of those problems still exist. If you want to use Office XP, I strongly suggest that you use it on a WinXP machine. (Yes, I know you Windows 2000 fans will say I'm nuts - that WinXP is only a rehashed version of Win2000. From what I've seen, I don't buy it. OXP works best on WinXP, period.)"

I have a deep-rooted objection to the terms on which WindowsXP are being sold. So -- what am I letting myself in for, if I doggedly put OfficeXP on Win2000? Anybody care to start a list, or maybe to challenge Woody to put more meat on the bones? Hey! -- we're not afraid of him, are we? Are we?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OfficeXP on Win2000

i think you'll be happy with it on win2k - you'll be even happier if you do a clean install, not an upgrade of office 2000. upgrades over older versions of office result in the most problems and complaints.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OfficeXP on Win2000

You know, that's what I use on the office laptop - Windows 2000, fully patched and service-packed - and Office XP. And to date I have never had a problem with it. I don't use Access often, but I am a regular Word and Excel traveller, and a FrontPage junkie. I've never had anything terrible happen with this combo. In fact, I find myself missing OXP at home on my WinXP machine for various little reasons. If it's more stable than it is on 2000, I'm gonna buy a copy for home.

Wait, I did get burned once - by my own stupidity, allowing Outlook to delete messages from the POP server. I wondered for a short bit about why I didn't have much email on the desktop machine.....whoops. That's not an OXP fault though. That's a PEBKAU issue: Problem Exists Between Keyboard and User.

Is it that only those who beat on OXP have these problems? I tend to wait before I do anything new or service-packed but it wasn't always that way. I'v never thought Office XP was the dog that Woody made it out to be. Incremental, no doubt about it - problematic? Hardly.
    -Mark