New Lounger
    Thanks

Updating fields in Text Boxes (Word 2000)

I have a document template where the document properties are included in Text Boxes on the front page. I was hoping to be able to just CTRL+A and F9 to update the entire document with these new properties. But the ones in the text boxes are not updating - why not?

Thanks

Re: Updating fields in Text Boxes (Word 2000)

I'm assuming you mean that you have { DOCPROPERTY } fields in your textboxes.

As far as Word is concerned, your text boxes are not in your document ... they are floating off in that outer space known as the drawing layer.

You might want to convert your text boxes to frames. I guess that depends on why it is that you are using them. Otherwise, Print Preview may update the fields.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

I used text boxes to position text for the cover page. Sometimes the title or subject (these are the document properties) wrap so I wanted to do this in a way that didn't cause and wrapping problems. If anyone knows of another way, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Hi Janice,

You should be able to convert them to frames, then. Right-click on the edge of the text boxes and one of the options should be to convert it to a frame. Try that.

Long term, I would suggest that you take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm>How to Create a Template</A>, an excellent tutorial on the way to create a template that will not corrupt easily and that has a numbering structure tied to styles. If you download the Word version, it comes with a template built to these specifications for a manual or book. That template has a title page you might want to study.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin