4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upsizing and what to do next (AXP / Win 2K)

I have just upsized the back end file of my database to SQL. I am running SQL server on the PC where the data file is. OK, what do I use to interface with the data file? Can I use the existing front end? Or do I need to upsize the FE file as well? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
    Mark Santos

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upsizing and what to do next (AXP / Win 2K)

I can't speak for XP, but if it's anything like 97, you go to your control panel and create a new (Add) ODBC Connection under System DSN. It will request the name of the server and the name of the database, and the password to enter the database.

Once you have created the ODBC connection, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT!, copy the Access database you want to hit the SQL back-end. On the copy, delete all of the tables that you upsized to SQL Server. Select File>Get external data>Link tables.
    On the next screen, select ODBC, then the System DSN name you created, then the tables you upsized. They all come down with "dbo_" in front of them. Rename the tables, and it should work. Once again, that's on 97. I can't imagine that it would be TERRIBLY different, but it might.

Hope this helps.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
    Mark Santos

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The presumption is that you want to use ODBC drivers to connect to the SQL tables if you are using a .mdb or jet file for your front end. That's the only kind of database that supports what was suggested, and there is an upsizing wizard (for 2000 - I haven't tried 2002/XP yet) that will do most of the work for you and can be downloaded from the MS site. The trick is to be sure that you have an ODBC data source defined on any workstation that wants to access the database.

The other approach is to convert to an ADP, but there is a fairly steep learning curve related to views, stored procedures and table design using a SQL back-end. In addition, there are some new twists to forms and reports, although you can get better performance if that's a major issue.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll give it a try.