Paddy

Attachments in Outlook cannot be read by recipient

[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img] When I mail attachments in Outlook some of my recipients are unable to open them. I am using Word 2000 and IE 5.5 / Outlook 2000 SR-1. Any ideas?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Attachments in Outlook cannot be read by recipient

What kind of attachments? What happens when they try? Do they have the same version of the software used to create the attachments?

Paddy

Thanks for your response.

I use Word 2000. One recipient uses Word 95 and another uses Word Perfect. As to what happens, here is a recent quote -- "Unfortunately, I couldn't convert from either MS Word 6 or from Word 2000. Please try sending it again as it somehow got corrupted the first time."

What I want to know is if there is a way of sending attachments using Word 2000 that people with other programs can most always open. Does it help to send through Outlook Express? Is there a way to send through Outlook (my normal email program) that most recipients can open?

Thanks. [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

are they getting winmail.dat files? use plain text format.

Paddy

THey do get winmail.dat files but that is not the problem. I understand what they are. They seem to get gibberish, they cannot find the attached file or their program cannot open the file.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

right - because you are sending the message in RTF format which is only readable by Outlook. This causes the attachment to be wrapped in the winmail.dat. If you use plain text message format, they will get the attachment alone, no RTF wrapper.
    Fentun is a utility that the recipients can drop the winmail.dat on to open the RTF wrapper, but you really should fix it on your end. (by using plain text format)

Paddy

Thanks -- I will give it a try.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

MaryJ,
    You stated 'RTF format which is only readable by Outlook', but almost ALL word processors will, can read and save files as RTF. RTF is a somewhat generic type of formatted text that a lot of programs can read. I think that Lotus 123, Excel, and Access can read these file also.

Winmail.dat is being generated by one of the ISP's, could be the sender's or the receiver's ISP that is doing this. If AOL is involved forget it, they are the NUMBER 1 problem with Winmail.dat files. Most of the time when this happens try sending using a different email provider and see if you are still having this problem. But also try sending a file to your self using a different email address. There are all links of free one out there.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Since your question pertains to attachments, the format of your message (e.g. whether you're sending the message itself in RTF or whatever) isn't likely to matter.

You'll need to save your attachments in a "lowest common denominator" that everyone can read. It's my understanding that WordPerfect understands older versions of Word - I thought it could read RTF as well, but I'm not certain of that. Have you saved your attachments in Word 95 format and tried sending those?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you all on a common e-mail system? As I discovered recently, there are some folks out there with very old e-mail software who may not have current decoders for binary files. (Pardon my technically incorrect jargon.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

LMudrock

I encounter this problem a lot in conjunction with the users I support, and I don't think it has anything to do with the format of your mail. The problem rests with software incompatibility. We receive a lot of client-related email with attachments created in software we do not have and therefore cannot "associate" the attachment with. For the most part if we save the attachment to a hard drive and then open it in a blank Word, Excel or PowerPoint screen (whatever is appropriate), the attachment will be automatically converted with formatting intact. As for files created in Word 2000, you will have to save them down to the software level that your recipient uses before sending. Just reverse this info for the people having trouble with attachments you send.

In addition, I sometimes use a program called Conversions Plus with great success for those files that MS Office can't handle, like the Lotus word processing package. If all else fails, you could use something similar for outbound mail as well.

Hope this helps.

Gene Still

Hi, newbie to this forum here. I have the winmail.dat problem, too. Tnx for Mary's help, but I can't successfully send ANY attachment, including JPGs or GIFS, as well as Word.docs. ISPs may not be the problem because I CAN send attachments via Outlook EXPRESS... just not OUTLOOK.

Paddy

Thanks for all the help. I am thankful that some of you have the same problems as me. I, too, have discovered that Express will carry the attachments so that others can open them.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

any attachemnt included with an RTF document will be wrapped in the winmail.dat file. Changing your file format to plain text will correct the problem.
    It works with outlook express because it doesn't use RTF format, only outlook does.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you ever tried opening an RTF doc in a mail client? [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] To compare outlook's RTF format with an RTF word processor document is like comparing oranges and tangerines. They are similar, but have differences.
    Try opening an RTF doc in notepad. That's the same as opening an outlook rtf message in most email clients.
    winmail.dat is not created by any isp or by aol. It is created by outlook and exchange clients and should not be used on internet mail. It's a very well known issue. Search the microsoft knowledge base for winmail.dat and you'll see that it is from outlook.