New Lounger
    Thanks

WINWORD Error (Word 2000 SR-1)

I cannot open Word 2000 SR-1. I get an error message: WINWORD caused a stack fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 018f:bff724c1. I have un-installed and re-installed Word, getting a message that it was successfully installed. But I still cannot open Word. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: WINWORD Error (Word 2000 SR-1)

Try starting Word with the /a switch (your path may vary):

Start, Run...
    "c:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficewinword.exe" /a

This will prevent global templates from loading. If it works, clear the templates out of your WordStartup folder temporarily and rename your Normal.dot file to abNormal.dot. You can bring back items one by one to try to spot the culprit.

If that doesn't help, perhaps Windows itself needs to be repaired?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and unfortunately it didn't work. I tried three times just to be sure that I had entered everything correctly in the path. I copied and pasted the command from your response, too. It looks like Windows will have to be re-installed. Or, is there a way of extracting that Windows file from my original CD? I couldn't seem to find a way. Computers are so much fun! LOL

Thanks

Generally speaking, if only Word is misbehaving, I would suspect that the application is at fault and not the Kernel32 file.

When you say the command didn't work, I assume you mean Word still crashed. Although that /a shortcut is the fastest way to diagnose problem templates, you probably need to do it manually.

In your user templates folder, which typically is under the Application DataMicrosoft folder, rename Normal.dot to abNormal.dot.

In your Word startup folder, which typically is Application DataMicrosoftWordStartup, rename all the templates with a 1 at the end (e.g., palmapp.dot1) to prevent them from loading automatically. You might have to check multiple folders if, for example, your computer stores settings for both you and "All Users."

The goal is to get Word to start without any macros or add-ins running to rule out those as your problem. I'm sure you will get other suggestions as well. And if you can pin down when this started happening and what new software might have been installed around that time, that would help as well.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you done an up to date virus scan on your computer?
    There was a virus around a few months ago that messed with that .dll.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary, I keep my virus definitions and scans up religiously. So, no viruses. A very interesting, and usual thing happened last night as I was searching out every template I could find, as you suggested. I never did find Normal.dot!! But, as I was in FIND searching for templates, I saw an entry (archived mail from a friend) and decided to open it. When I clicked on it, it opened, but also a dialogue box popped up from Microsoft telling me that I needed to agree to the Eufla (sp?) section in order "to use this program." I clicked on "Yes" and was taken to another dialogue box from Microsoft, which had my name already filled in. It asked for my initials, organization and told me where to find the Product Key for Word 2000. It would be on the yellow sticker on the back of my CD package. Well, mine was on the envelope in which Dell had placed the disks for Microsoft Works Suite 2001. I entered the ID in the space, clicked to Submit, and I was immediately returned to the opened Word document. No error messages! Some other problems were fixed at the same time. I can open any document I want, I can copy and paste to Word (that feature had disappeared before the WINWORD error), and I can print from Word. The version of Word as revealed by my Zone Alarm, seeking approval for a "Changed Program" to be allowed to access the Internet, was WINWORD.EXE Version 9.0.5302. The version of Word is 6.0/95. I don't know how this compares to Word 2000 SR-1. I still have a printer problem. I have an Epson Stylus Color 980 ink-jet printer. I have un-installed and re-installed the printer, and have gone to the Epson web site and downloaded the current drivers. I can print from the word processors, text editors, but I cannot print directly from a web site, nor from my Outlook Express. Any ideas on that one? I give you the credit for restoring my use of Word. It was your telling me to look everywhere for the templates that led me to FIND and the unusual way of restoring Word! Where in the computer is Normal.dot hiding? I could not find it anywhere!
    Thanks and more thanks for helping me with the major Word problem! Virginia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Virginia:
    Normal.dot is normally in the templates folder. The best way to find it is to click on the taskbar & press F3. Make sure that you're searching in your primary drive where Word is installed. Type "normal.dot" (w/o) quotes & click "find now" & you'll find normal.dot & see where it is.

If you're not able to solve your printer problem here, you might post on the Windows forum that corresponds to your version.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil
    I printed all the replies from everyone and I am working on my problem. I know it will be solved, one way or the other. Maybe some more serendipity?
    Thanks to everyone again. I appreciate your valuable contribution to solving my computer and printer problems. Experts, everyone. That is obvious.
    I love Woody's Lounge!
    Virginia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,
    Normal.dot was *nowhere* to be found! So I went to my GoBack v. 3.0 and typed it in the Find space. It returned one entry, the shortcut link. I recovered it to WindowsApplicationsDataMicrosoftOffice. Now when I find it by going to "FIND Files or Folders" it is listed just as Normal.dot and not a shortcut. Normal.dot is back! But Clippie is still asking me if I want the changes to Global.dot saved. I say "NO."
    Did I recover it to the correct directory?

Thanks!

Virginia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Virginia:
    You don't have to located normal.dot if it doesn't exist. When you start Word, it will create normal.dot, if none exist. When you exit & it asks you if you want to save changes to the global template, normal.dot, answer "Yes" (this time only). Otherwise, Word will delete the normal.dot that it created. Anytime, you make a change that affects normal.dot, it will ask you if you want to save changes. If you've made a deliberate change (one that affects normal.dot styles, macros, keyboard shortcuts, autotext entries, or toolbars or menus), save your changes. If you didn't make any changes that you know of, answer "No". In this case, you deliberately made a change---you created a normal.dot.

To avoid this problem, I make several backup copies of my normal.dot & save them in my templates folder. I name them normal.bk1, normal.bk2, etc. That way, if normal.dot gets deleted or corrupted, I have a previous version to replace it with. Just select normal.dot, & while holding down the Ctrl button, type CV. This will copy & paste a copy of normal.dot. Then change the extension to bk1, etc.

Hope this helps.