Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change default printer? (WD97/SR-2)

We are using Word to batch print a series of files through File > Open > (select the group of files) > Commands and Settings button > Print. The files print automatically to the default printer, without showing the Print selection screen, so we can't change the printer. For general printing (letters, memos), my users have a default printer close to their desks. However, for high-volume printing of a series of files, they want to go to a departmental high-speed printer. Is there any way to change the default printer from this Commands and Settings button only?

Thanks,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Change default printer? (WD97/SR-2)

This is the reason I NEVER use a "Print Button". One never knows where there print is going. In a office world, the print job can be sent accross the country, if you are on a large net work. My suggestion is to REMOVE the print button and ALL users must use the menu or the "Ctrl+p" to get to the print screen.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

We're using this button because it is the only way that I've found to print a series of Word files from Word, without going through the time-consuming opening/closing of Word that you get when you print a series of Word files from within Windows. Believe me, being able to print 58 files without opening and closing Word 58 times is a great blessing!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I have a suggestion (even two suggestions):

1. To print multiple documents, open the folder in Windows Explorer ("My Computer"), and from "Send to" option (Right-click or File menu) choose Printer folder, then particular installed printer. Use this tip <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/answerstips/story/0,24330,3305615,00.html>Add Printers to Send To Menu</A> to do it. If you are using Windows NT/2000, your SendTo folder is in Cocuments and Settings< your username > directory.

2. In Word, delete your Print icon and replace it with Print... icon (Tools | Customize | Commands, "Print..." (not "Print" !!!) icon under File commands.) "Print" button sends open document to the default printer; "Print..." button opens Printers dialog (the same as Ctrl-P). Who can tell me why they look the same?

Thanks

With respect to (2), unfortunately, for the menu she is using, I don't think you can change the command. I wasn't able to intercept it with a FilePrint macro, so it seems to go through Windows rather than Word. I was playing with Word 2000, but suspect that 97 was similar in this regard.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by StuartR when I realised that I hadn't read the original post carefully enough. I don't like deleting posts, because it gets so confusing, but these DDE messages are irrelevant to this issue

The action taken by the Print right click command can be changed. For Word 2000 on Windows98 SE I tried the following...

Open windows explorer
    Choose Folder Options... from the Tools menu
    Move to the File Types Tab
    Select "Microsoft Word Document" from the list box
    Click the edit button
    Choose Print in the actions box
    Click the edit button.

Under the heading "DDE Application not running" this shows the text
    [FileOpen("%1")][FilePrint 0][FileExit 2]

If you edit the FilePrint to be some other menu command then it does indeed execute this other command instead of the print - I have no idea what DDE message you would need to execute to get it to print to a specific printer, or to run your own Macro, but it must be possible from there.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't know how you can do it all in the one spot but there is a hidden dialog that Word 97 and 2000 both have but don't let you at that does allow you to change the default printer from within Word. You would have to call this before going into the FileOpen dialog and then again after the batch is run. The coding is pretty simple and would look like this
    <pre>Sub SetDefaultPrinter()
    Dialogs(97).Show ' allows user to set default to high speed printer
    Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen).Show
    Dialogs(97).Show ' allows user to reset default to local printer
    End Sub</pre>

Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Forgive me if I am missing the point here...
    You know that you can print from Windows Explorer:
    right-click on the file icon and press "p". Explorer sends the file to the default printer.
    If you are printing a Word document and Word is open, the file you want to print only opens for long enough to spool: you don't have to manually open and close the file.
    You can temporarily change your default printer through Start/Settings/Printers (right-click on a printer icon and choose 'Default printer' from the drop menu)
    In addition, you can select a whole batch of files (again in Explorer) and choose File/Print. However, I prefer to just run through the batch going right-click + "p".

Does this help?
    regards, Bede