Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OE and HotMail (OE 6)

I've had to change my email address too many times - the ISPs keep going bankrupt. So I decided to settle for a HotMail account. I figure Microsoft won't go bankrupt!

So far I don't like the way OE works with HotMail. It doesn't retrieve the mail from my HotMail account - it just copies the email. "Synchronizing" is what they call it. The mail doesn't even go to my INBOX, instead it goes to a HotMail | Inbox. Lastly, I can't make message rules apply to emails coming in from HotMail. When the message is sent to my hd, shouldn't it delete itself from the HotMail website?

Is this the only way OE and HotMail can work together? Or am I not setting things up correctly? If this is as good as it gets, it stinks!
    - Ricky

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OE and HotMail (OE 6)

Unfortunately, Hotmail does not work like a POP mail account. What you need to do is to manually move messages from your Hotmail inbox to your OE default inbox. When you do this, the copies that remain on the hotmail site will be moved to the hotmail deleted items folder. As for rules, there are two approaches. You can create additional folders on the hotmail site and set up rules within hotmail. Then move the messages in these folders manually (CTRL+A and then drag with mouse is the simplest way) to corresponding folders in your default OE folder. Alternatively, after moving all your messages to your OE inbox as described above, run rules manually. (This works in Outlook 2002, but I haven't tried it in OE.)

If you don't want to work with hotmail this way and would like a webmail account that works lie a POP mail account with OE or Outlook, you could try Yahoo.

Fafner

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hotmail is an HTTP service - it doesn't work at all like pop services, it works more like IMAP.
    Rules don't work on HTTP or IMAP accounts, you'll need to manually move messages to the inbox for them to be removed from hotmail.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have a Hotmail account and I just use it from the webpage at MS. I use what filters that Hotmail provides and it dumps most of the incoming into the junk folder.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.