Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple Normal.dot Templates (MS Word 97)

I just created a New custom Book Template with all its own unique Styles, Lists, Headings, Headers Footers, etc...

In the Book Template I used Word's Built -In Styles - did not rename them - but just tweaked their formatting. If I copied these styles (i.e Heading, Body Text, etc.) into Normal.dot - since they have the same name and their Base is different- they will overwrite Normal.dot's Default Styles.

I don't want to do this -
    I don't want to change the basic Default Settings in Normal.dot - I'd rather be cautious and just leave all Normal.dot's Default Settings alone to avoid any possible corruptions..

But I would like the Unique Styles I created in the Book Template to be available to use in other Templates occasionaly.

To accomplish this:
    I could open the Book.dot Template - do a File Save As - and save the Book Template as NormalBook.dot
    I'm assuming this new NormalBook.dot Template would be a Global Template and thus the Styles I defined in the Book Template would be available for use in other Templates without overwriting Normal.dot's Default Style Settings. Correct?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Multiple Normal.dot Templates (MS Word 97)

Unless changed in the document itself, the style definitions applicable to a document are the ones that existed in its attached template at the moment of creation. Thus, even if you make NormalBook.dot available as a global template, the document will not use its style definitions unless you copy them into the document's style collection. If you want your users to be able to convert over their styles to your book styles, you could give them a macro to do that.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.
    Well, what I want to do then, from time to time, is simply copy some styles from 1 Document into another Document (not to or from a Template) but from 1 Document to another Document?

How can I do that?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can copy styles from one document (the Source Document) to another (in this case, My Document) using the Styles Organizer. I usually do that like this:

From My Document:

From the Format menu, select Styles.
    Click on Organizer and go to the Styles tab. My Document should be listed in the left pane, and its template should be listed in the right pane.
    Click "Close" on the right pane to close My Document's template.
    Then click "Open" on the right pane and navigate to the Source Document.
    Select the styles in the Source Document--you should notice that the "Copy" button in between the two panes has arrows pointing towards My Document.
    Click Copy, and the style (or styles) from the Source Document will be copied to My Document.

Keep in mind that it's important to copy the hierarchy of a style from the Source Document. For example, if you are copying Heading 1 from the Source Document, and Heading 1 is based on the Normal Style, you should copy the Normal Style from the Source Document too. Otherwise, Heading 1 in My Document will be based on the Normal Style from My Document, which may or may not be what you want. Obviously, copying the Normal Style can cause other problems, too, so be sure to consider this before you copy it--it might (might!) be easier to simply manually modify your Heading 1 style after copying it into My Document, especially if My Document either (a) uses the Normal style or ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] has other styles based on the Normal Style.

Hope that helps...

Jennifer

Thanks

Hi Steve,

There are already a number of good answers posted to your question on the microsoft formatting.longdocuments newsgroup. How many answers do you need?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

I apologize.

Thanks for all the help form everybody. I appreciate it.

Thanks

Steve,

No need to apologize. If you are asking a question like this in one place, though, it is courtesy to check and see if you get the answer you need before going and asking someone else. I know that when people ask the same question in multiple spots where I try to provide help it frustrates me because I'm not sure if I've already given them the answer and if I have I hate to have other people spend time providing help that is no longer needed.

On the other hand, some questions, like the one you asked about how to use AutoText beg for as wide an audience as possible.

Finally, it can be difficult for any of us to figure out which type of question it is we are asking. Bottom line is that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. I don't want to discourage you from posting your questions, just hope that you will be patient enough to listen to the answers. I apologize if I came across as "short" or cross with your persistence in trying to figure this stuff out. I know it isn't easy and we all started clueless. (or at least I did ... and some days I'm still clueless)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

I understand. Thanks again, Mr. Kenyon and others for your help.