New Lounger
    Thanks

Hijacked (IE 5.5)

I recently (past 2 weeks) find my browser being hijacked and sent to pages other than the ones I specify. This happens only intermittently but its's becoming more frequent. It occurs whether I use a saved link or type the addess in the address bar. I have scanned the computer for viruses, spyware, defragged, cleaned up the cookies, etc, all to no avail. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks

Re: Hijacked (IE 5.5)

There are many possibilities, most of which have nothing to do with your computer.

I would start by going to SamSpade (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.samspade.org/>http://www.samspade.org/</A>) and pasting the URL into the Browse box. You should get back the plain text of the target page. Look for indications that the page and/or server is redirecting your browser. If you are not very familiar with HTML, post some of the problem URLs here for further comment.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, it's on my machine. It's happening when trying to reach my own web sites. Something nefarious has been placed on the machine, but I'm at a loss as to where it is and how to get rid of it.

Thanks

Is there any pattern to the sites you are being redirected to?
    is it consistent?
    What happens if you type in the IP address to one your own sites in the address field?
    Are you on NT4/W2K/XP that will allow you to watch in TaskManager if another application is starting up when it happens?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check the "host" and see if the ip and name are correct.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.