Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

View Excel on Web (Excel 2000)

Have you ever been in the position when you don't quite know how to pop the question?

I couldn't find a thread (which probably exists) to help me out but I don't know what the problem is called so I'll have to describe what doesn't happen.

A site I visit displays each day what he believes to be the latest up and comers on the Australian Stock Exchange. His URL is:
    <http://drstock.netfirms.com/>

He tells me that if I have OE5 and Office2000 I should see an Excel table of his best picks. I have these requirements but all I see is the general page outline and the area where Excel should appear is blank except for:
    To use this Web page interactively, you must have Microsoft

Thanks

Re: View Excel on Web (Excel 2000)

Often. But one of them still ended up saying Yes.

Can you expand a bit on where you are seeing the problem?
    I can't see where you are being told if you have OE5 and Office 2000 etc...
    For example, if I follow the link to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://drstock.netfirms.com/dr_stock_open_positions.htm>http://drstock.netfirms.com/dr_stock_open_positions.htm</A> I see what appear to be Excel inserts.

The 'error message page' you referred to sounds more like a browser error to me, rather than something built in within the web site - i.e. I feel it more a problem your end than his.

Can you post/confirm the specific web address where you are seeing this message?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for replying,Leif,

I am not sure about this but I think one should see a list/table of stocks above the charts. Yes, I see the charts.

The area to which I am referring is Daily Stockwatch:

http://drstock.netfirms.com/Daily stockwatch.htm

where there used to be a list of stocks before he switched to the Excel method. In fact it used to look similar to the Turnaround stock list beneath.

(In the upper area where there is no table he suggests stocks chosen from those that have established trends, in the Turnaround area are stocks which have only recently started to turn upwards).

I was told about IE5 etc. in email correspondence with Dr. Stock. Today I installed IE5.5, but no change.

Yes, I believe the problem is at my end but don't know what to do about it. Dr Stock has said that some of his other subscribers have the same problem. Seems he doesn't know what to do about it and suggested wopr and asked me to let him know how it pans out.

Thanks

OK - I think I've got it.

Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom >

What settings have you got for running ActiveX? If it's disabled you won't see the charts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (7.6 KB, 0 views)

Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

I have checked the browser settings recommended for wopr and believe I have it right. Certainly Active Script is enabled as in the Reply to Post email and ActiveX is as in your attachment. Unsigned and not safe ActiveX are disabled.

I do see the charts on the Open Positions page (ION looks great! I am holding some of those).

It is mainly the Daily Stockwatch page which concerns me. I am expecting to see a table there.

Cheers, velocity

Thanks

I'm seeing a table (as below) on what I take to be the Daily Stockwatch page - reached by clicking on the 'Daily Stockwatch' link top right on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://drstock.netfirms.com/dr_stock_open_positions.htm>this page</A> - can you confirm you are not seeing this?

(I've got to find out why I can't post the direct link to that page - it has a space in it - and I'm going to move this thread to the IE forum - I'm fairly certain it's an IE issue.)
    • File Type: gif x.gif (6.8 KB, 0 views)

Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

That's exactly it. I can't see that table.

Thanks for doing this, I'm looking forward to the next step but I'll have to go to bed now (11pm). I cut the grass this morning and went dinghy sail racing this afternoon and can't think any more. I've had to correct just about every word in this reply!

Cheers, velocity

Thanks

The page code contains this: classid=CLSID:0002E510-0000-0000-C000-000000000046. I exported what I have in my registry for this ClassID (attached). If you don't have this entry, you might need to pop in the Office 2000 CD again and see if you can custom install the web controls.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that clue as to what is going on (or not!).

I ran regedit . I am not an expert in this area, I looked under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID and couldn't find the classid of your post. The nearest was 0002E500 etc. not 0002E510.

Then I put the CD in and selected the Repair button. No change in regedit. I couldn't find how to custom install the "web controls". I did some searches and found only one reference on the CD to "web controls" in an area relating to Hajig calendar, didn't seem relevant.

I used to be fairly comfortable with CP-M but this is a different kettle of fish!

By the way, your attachment when displayed in Notepad has spaces between the characters but not when viewed in Wordpad. Am I required to enter all that into regedit? If so how/where?

Cheers, velocity

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

All you can do rename the saved text file with .reg extension instead of .txt and double-click it (merge to the registry).

Thanks

If earlier suggestions do not resolve this, can you double-check your security settings?
    I'be been trying to duplicate what you get and the (next) nearest settings are the Run ActiveX and plug-ins as below - disabled I don't get the Excel tables to show.
    • File Type: gif x.gif (1.3 KB, 0 views)

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks kaplinb, I tried your suggestion and it said it could not import it as it is not a registry script. As I mentioned before the file has spaces between the characters.They don't appear in Wordpad, in Notepad they appear as gaps between the characters and Debug reveals them to be 00. If my ancient memory serves me 00 = Nul.

Do I have to edit the file in some way to remove them or shouldn't they be there in the first place?

If I need to manipulate the file I would appreciate some guidance. Just because I can invoke Debug doesn't mean I am currently up to speed with these things!

Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried both those settings at both enabled and prompt to no avail.

Lounger
    Thanks

jscher2000,

This is my second reply to this post as, later, I have removed and reinstalled Office 2000. I looked for everything that suggested itself as possibly relevant and added it. In the Excel I set everthing to "Run from my computer". Maybe I have still missed something.

Somehow we'll beat this yet but at the moment I no idea how.

Thanks

Please don't try to insert that information into your registry unless you actually have the file to which it refers. Also, it was generated from Windows 2000, and might not be recognized by earlier versions of Windows. Sorry if I gave the impression that you should merge it in; it was just intended for comparison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast