Thread: Fonts (FP2000)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fonts (FP2000)

Where can I find and how do I go about adding fonts to FP2000? Specifically I would like to add Garamond Book font.
    Jim

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fonts (FP2000)

(Edited by Leif to make link live - see the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=lounge&Number=98472&page=0& view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&vc=1>quick guide</A>)

You should be able to download and use any font, just add it to the Windows>>>Fonts folder.

You can get the Garamond font here.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://home10.inet.tele.dk/carlsson/Down.htm>http://home10.inet.tele.dk/carlsson/Down.htm</A>

Hope that's the one you wanted

Thanks

You may want to bear in mind that a visitor without Garamond Book font themselves will not be able to view the page exactly as you wish them to.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks but not quite what I am looking for. I need Garamond BOOK font. This basically is Garamond in all caps with the initial cap letter of a word at a larger font.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was surprised at your comment. Does Internet Explorer and Netscape have a number of fonts installed in them which are used in displaying web pages? And the fonts are not provided as part of the web page? I am relatively new to web page design but have not seen this fact in any articles I have read on the subject. And exactly what happens when someone does not have a particular font on their computer? I assume another resident font is substituted?

Jim

Thanks

One of the security options in IE is to download or not to download fonts, so there must be a way to encourage the browser to do it. I haven't looked into it, so I couldn't tell you. If you know of a page on the web full of unusual fonts, you could peek at the code and see if there's an answer there.

Thanks

My understanding is that it is the fonts installed on you system which are used, IE and NS do not have their own fonts. Within those applications you can set a default font to use in the event the specified one is not on your system, and certainly in IE you have the option to ignore fonts specified.

Embedded fonts are on their way - see Microsoft and Adobe Type Library and <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.digitdesigns.com/WebType/GaramondBk.htm>DigitDesigns</A>.

It is interesting to note that in those last two example, the first displays the font as a graphic (allowing the font to be accurately displayed regardless). The second offers the font as a download - viewing the source code will show you how it can be done.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Appreciate the information. I was worried for a moment but then realized that in my specific case, I want to use the font in a graphic (.jpg file) which is the header of my web page. Once I embed the text with that font into that header.jpg file, it will appear as intended, no matter what fonts are installed on the site visitor's computer.

But I did learn something about fonts in the body of web pages and I appreciate your help.

Jim

Thanks

Quick postscript:
    When you created your header graphic, try saving in different formats. JPG's can be a bit OTT for 'simple' graphics in terms of size - they include information which can be irrelevant for displaying in a browser.
    Photographs are normally best as jpg's as they require a much greater range of colour information.

As an example, the sample font graphic at the Adobe site I linked to above is a 24K gif. If I convert it to a png, it drops to 20K.
    But, if I convert it to a jpg, it increases to 152K!

The lesson there I guess is it may pay to try different formats to optimise the efficiency of your web page. Where you can, use the simplest colour palette. Your viewers will appreciate it!

(Dont forget the ability of FP to 'resample' graphics if you resize them - on the Pictures toolbar - it can do quite a reasonable job. When it comes to saving it it will warn you that it is going to over-write the original, so change the filename if you do want to keep the original untouched.)