Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

McAfee 6 Open Window

Recently installed McAfee AntiVirus Version 6 on my XP Pro drive and every time the machine is rebooted, a McAfee "folder" opens on the screen. I can't seem to find a setting that would prevent that from happening. Just an annoyance and I close it and continue. I did notice that my Program Files folder has THREE McAfee folders in it, which is new to me. Don't know how it did that, or why! Maybe it was because I ran auto-update after installing. Anyone know how to get rid of that annoying open window?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: McAfee 6 Open Window

Hi
    Uninstal McAfee and get a decent VS (such as AVG, which is freeas well).
    Failing that StartRun Msconfig.exe and see if it is starting on boot-up. You can disable it from there.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstal McAfee and get a decent VS (such as AVG, which is freeas well).

These type responses a guy doesn't need! Sarcasm will get you nowhere.....

Failing that StartRun Msconfig.exe and see if it is starting on boot-up. You can disable it from there.

Don't know how you "cause a folder" to open, but I did run MSCONFIG and don't spot it. Thnx anyway.....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds suspiciously like what used to happen on NT4 systems. And whaddaya know, when I looked up the article, it says it also applies to Windows 2000 systems. I suppose XP will follow soon.

What article? It's not the same problem you are having, but it's very similar: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q170086>System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows (Q170086)</A> - perhaps that's an idea for you to check into. There's also the possibility that it's being opened by something else that McAfee is doing. Try holding down CTRL+SHIFT+ALT while clicking on the little "x" to close the window and see it it stays gone.
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<hr> Sarcasm will get you nowhere.....<hr>

If you want sarcasm you can have it, but as a New Lounger it would be cruel of me to try it out on you. I may be a curmudgeon, but sadist I ain't. You came here looking for help : I gave you what I consider to be good advice - and still do.

If you feel I was being sarcastic, do a search on the Lounge (and many other message boards) for 'McAfee' and see what other opinions are. I stand by everything I wrote. Even Mark's reply in the next message to yours says 'and something else that McAfee is doing'. Do you think it should be?

Rgds

Super Moderator
    Thanks

For another site that has thoughts about McAfee go to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pcnineoneone.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=computer&archive=> PC911 </A> and see what they have to say.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.