New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 98 network

I am trying to set up a two computer network so I can use it to transfer files from my old computer (it's my son's NEW computer) to my new pentium 4 machine. I have installed an AOpen 10/100 mbps card in the old machine and the new one has the ethernet built in.

I'm a bit thick when it comes to hardware installations but I think I followed all the right steps.

Both machines have modems and will be at opposite ends of the house so in the end we won't be connected but I thought this would be a chance to learn a bit about networks and at the same time avoid the agony I experienced when I swapped hard drives to perform this task the last time I upgraded.

I guess a big part of my problem is that I don't know the jargon. Do I want to set up a TIP network or a peer to peer or a.....? I have network set up to share files and both computers are named. When I look in Network neibourhood I see the machine I'm on but nothing else.

Both machines are running Windows 98 and are connected with a cat5 cable.

I've read the manual that came with the card and the windows 98 manual but somehow I'm missing the point.

Anyone want to walk me through the settings I should have so I can see one computer from the other?

Larry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 98 network

Make sure that your CAT5 cable is crossover cable when running directly between two computers.
    Christopher Baldrey

New Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

Sorry to seem dumb but how will I tell if it is crossover cable?

The box says it is Cat 5e snagless patch cable. RJ45 male/male cable type.

Do you know of a site for beginners to go to for a step by step on networking?

Larry

Thanks

With luck you should be able to see the colour-coding of the cores in each connector. A 'normal' pattch cable will have Pin1 to Pin1, Pin2 to Pin2 etc - in other words the same pattern at each end.

A cross-over cable has Pin1 to Pin 3, Pin2 to Pin 6, Pin 3 to Pin 1 and Pin 6 to Pin 2.

The fact it is not described as a cross-over cable would suggest it is not.

The <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.netgear.com/network_starter_guide.html>Netgear</A> site is quite useful for learning the basics, although obviously based around using their products.

Thanks

Just came across this site - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm>MakeItSimple</A> - which couldn't show what I was explaining above clearer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You can also quickly look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=netwrk&Number=105407&pa ge=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&vc=1#Post105407>this post</A> here in our own lounge.
    Christopher Baldrey

New Lounger
    Thanks

Leif and Chris

Thanks for your help

Larry