Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to connect to other computers on LAN

I'm tearing my hair out trying to resolve a connectivity problem on my home LAN. I have a total of 5 computers connected, two running Win98, one running Windows 2000, and two running Windows/XP Professional. All are connected either directly or through a switch to a Linksys router which is connected to a highspeed direct broadcase wireless modem. All computers can access the Internet fine. The Windows 2000 and Win98 computers can all see each other. However, the Win/XP computers can't see other computers on the network and the other computers on the network can't see them. What's frustrating is that everything worked at one time. The Win/XP computers are laptops, though, and they travel and sometimes connect to other networks. Perhaps something broke on them because of a dial-up connection. The Win98 and Win2000 computers never dial up.

I've run and re-run the network setup wizard in XP to no avail. I've compared TCP/IP and other network settings between the XP and the Win2000 machines and confirmed all the settings are the same. I've made some progress by reading http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q314067, titled "How to Troubleshoot TCP/IP Connectivity with Windows XP ."

What I've found is that I can ping the IP addresses of any computer on the network from any other computer on the network, including to and from the Win/XP PCs. I can ping the loopback address (127.0.0.1) TO "verify that TCP/IP is installed and correctly configured." I can ping the IP address of the computer I'm on. I can ping the default gateway (192.168.1.1).

What I can't do is ping the name of another computer on the network from the Win/XP PCs, or ping the names of the XP PCs from the other computers. The Q314067 article says this about that: "Ping uses name resolution to resolve a computer name to an IP address. Therefore, if pinging by IP address succeeds but pinging by name does not succeed, the issue is host name resolution, not network connectivity. "

OK, I've got a host name resolution problem. Why? Where should I look next?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to connect to other computers on LAN

I'll reply to my own posting to add one more detail. If I use the Windows "Search" facility and search for "computers or people", and enter the IP address of another computer on the network, it's found and I can access the resources on that computer. Searching on the name of the computer, though, doesn't work.

soapytwo

Hi:

did you try to search for the name of the computer with 2 slashes? like this: name of computer

try it and please let me know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is the MS firewall turned off on the XP machines?

Since the XP machines were on another network, are the computer names and WORKGROUP name correct?

The other network may have been a "Domain" type and they are still looking for that domain and not the workgroup.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, no luck with the two slashes except when I search for the computer I'm on. Search for the name of it, with or without the back slashes works, but I can't find any of the other computers on the LAN.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave,

Yes, the XP machines have the MS firewall turned off. I've run across that problem before! And, the computer names are correct in the "Computer Name" tab of "System Properties". The Workgroup is set to "WORKGROUP" which is the same group that all the computers on the network are on.

I appreciate your quick reply...I'm still puzzled, though!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you turned on any of the files (drive) and printer sharing?

Also do you have ZomeAlarm or such on the other machine blocking the XP machines?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes to drives and printer sharing. In fact, I can connect to drives on other computers from the XP computers if I search for the other computers (in the Windows Search dialog) by their IP addresses. I can see and browse drives on the other PCs by doing this. Also, the Win98 and Win2000 computers can all see and share each other's drives.

No Zone Alarm on any machine on the network. I figured I didn't need it since I have a router.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"I figured I didn't need it since I have a router" VERY WRONG, the router stops in coming but nothing about the OUT going. Get the ZoneAlarm free version and install it on ALL machines.

You are saying that the other computers can see the drives (shares) of the XP machines but, the XP machines can NOT see the NON XP machines shares?

You said up front about a router and a hub, which are these machine plugged in to the hub or router?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, I have two computers running Win98, one running Win2000, and two running XP. The Win98 and Win2000 computers can all see each other and share with each other. They cannot see the XP machines.

The XP machines can't see each other, or any of the other computers on the network, unless I connect to the other computers using an IP address. For example, when I use the XP machine to search for 192.168.1.102, it finds the computer in my son's room. On the other hand, if I search for the computer named "Danny" (or "Danny") his PC isn't found. On the Windows 98 or Windows 2000 computers, though, I can connect using the computer name "Danny"...I don't have to use an IP address. (All computers are in a workgroup named "WORKGROUP".)

So, it looks like something is wrong with some kind of name resolution on the XP PCs.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave and others...FWIW, here's the output from a IPCONFIG dump on one of the XP PCs:

Cocuments and SettingsJim>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : THINKPAD
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DWL-650 11Mbps WLAN Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-5D-D6-65-37
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.104
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.221.192.5
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 26, 2002 8:31:46 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 01, 2002 8:31:46 PM

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried enabling netbeui on your NICs. Search this forum for recent postings on netbeui, and read KB Q301041

soapytwo

Hi:
    the same thing happened to me when i first loaded XP PRO. this may sound silly, but check it anyway.
    All my other cpu's on the LAN were using win98. guess what? they were using netbuie as the protocol. When i checked XP, i found that it does NOT support netbuie, according to MS. I went to my win98 boxes and added the TCP/IP protocol. guess what? I could now see everything on the LAN from all machines.
    Let me know. very curious if this was a "flook" or really a fix???

New Lounger
    Thanks

moniq, Yes. after scanning the other posts here I did install the NetBEUI protocol. Still no luck...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any Norton products running on the XP, other than Norton 2002 anti virus?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast