Thread: MS Hearts & XP

soapytwo

MS Hearts & XP

After installing XP PRO I can no longer join or be dealer in the MS hearts game over my LAN. My other machines, still using Win98, can see each other and join the game. The XP machine can see the other computers over the LAN as far as file sharing etc, but cannot see the other computer for the hearts game.
    Anyone got any suggestions as to why this is happening? Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Hearts & XP

I have the same issue, with no solution... have you found a way to make it work yet? The version of mshearts that ships with XP does not even have the option. When I try the Win98 version, the options for connecting over the network are grayed out.

soapytwo

Hi: No, I have not found a way to make it work with XP.

However, it DID work great with 98 over the network. Hmmm. Does everything else work over the network with 98, just not hearts? This surprises me to hear you say that, because mine did work when I used 98 and 95, just not with XP.

To be honest, I never tried to investigate the situation, since there's so many other things going on with XP! Hahaha!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

hearts uses netbeui i believe and winxp uses tcp/ip for communations. you can install netbeui in xp, but it's less secure and support for it is being fazed out.

soapytwo

Hi:

so, are you saying that if i install netbeui on my XP box, i can then play hearts on the LAN with my 98 cpu's?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you might need the hearts application from the win98 machines, although AFAIK, they didn't change anything in hearts and when it detects netbeui, it should allow group play. FWIW, i've never played hearts since win3.1 and never tried it on the winxp box to see if that's the secret.

soapytwo

thanks for the input. i will try it within the next few days after i install netbeui on the XP machine and let you know if it works.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just to clarify -- WinXP version of hearts does ot include network play. I tried to use the Win98 version on my XP machine, and it works fine EXCEPT FOR network play options are grayed out and don't work. Based on the posts above, I installed the Win98 version of mshearts.exe & cards.dll on my XP machines, netBEUI on my network, and enabled the DDE service on my XP machines - no dice yet. Have you tried the netBEUI deal yet?

soapytwo

No. I haven't. But, I would have done exactly what you did, so I'm not sure if i'm gonna go throught the effort and do the netbeui install.

I don't play hearts over the network, so I'm gonna skip it. I originally wrote about this becuase it was a feature that used to work with Win98, but didn't with XP. I'm always curious as to WHY.

You did everything the MJ suggested to do, so, I have no idea why it doesn't work.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Its curiosity for me, too. This one is driving me nuts, though. To bad I have to work for a living...