Thread: Section Breaks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Section Breaks

I have a large document separated with section breaks. I went through and made them all Next page section breaks and then I found one in the middle of the document that I had missed. When I changed it from a Continuous Section Break to a Next Page Section break, it changed every section break preceding that one in the document to a Continuous Section Break! I have changed the section breaks several times over the course of a year and this happens quite frequently! Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks

Re: Section Breaks

I'm not sure you are doing anything wrong. Which version of Word are you using?

One thing that contributes to instability in section breaks (and page breaks) is using them as paragraph markers. This can result in a style trying to bridge two sections, which it isn't designed to do.

The following page may help, it is about moving /deleting section breaks.
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...thSections.htm

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ruth:

When changing section breaks in the Page Setup dialog box, be sure to check whether it's set to this section, selected sections, selected text, this point forward, or whole document. It may be causing you some surprising results.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charles, thanks, I would never have thought to look at the Page Setup, since I manually added the Section Breaks. Since the document used was based on another's document, I should have checked there! The link you provided was a HUGE help. I went into Page Setup and found the problem! Thanks so much.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, Thanks for your help, I did not think to check Page Setup! Someone else gave me a link to go to and fully explained.
    Thanks again for your help!