TommyG

Mail Merge to Outlook/Exchange wizard

Hi,

My client wants to use the "merge to email" capability, AND be able to change the "From" designation (so that the email can appear to be sent from her generic outlook folder). Sending email in Outlook allows the change of the "from" location, but the merge wizard in Word does not offer a chance to change the "from". Any ideas on where I could find Word's merge wizard source to, perhaps, hack a solution?

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tommy

chris_k

Re: Mail Merge to Outlook/Exchange wizard

Tommy, you don't mention which version of Word you are using, but in Word 2K if you go to File/Send to and choose either "Mail Recipient" or "Mail Recipient as Attachment" you can then click on View and include the "From" field in the dialog box and therefore should be able to change who the message is from. I believe the default is to not show it.

Hope this helps & is what you were looking for.

TommyG

Chris,

Thanks for your reply, but that's not exactly what I'm trying to do. Yes, I am using Word 2000 (sorry I didn't mention it sooner). I am not trying to use the "file - send to" but rather the Mail Merge Wizard, to send a customized "form letter" to all of the email addresses contained in my particular Access2000 database.

Specifically, the database contains names, associated travel plans, and email addresses for a number of employees (about 1200). My form letter details the specific travel plans for an individual, and then email is to the person. Since each person's travel plans are different, I use a mail merge to place the travel details into each specific letter. After the merge takes place, there are 1200 different letters, each designed to go to one corresponding person. The email "ought" to look like it came from the event coordination organization, rather than from the personal mail box of one of the people working in that event coordination group.

The mail merge wizard does all this for me, except offering me the opportunity to alter the "from" address. Any mail generated/sent from the mail merge wizard ends up coming from the email account associated with the current logged on user. I've currently talked my network admin into creating a generic windows account and a generic exchange account for the event coordinators organization, but I'd like a better solution, since other groups will also want the ability to send from their oganization's folder rather than thier personal account.

Sorry to have been so wordy, but I hope I've described the problem more clearly now.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Tommy. Did you try using the Mail Merge wizard that's in Outlook?
    Karen

TommyG

KB,

My understanding is that the Merge in Outlook only allows you to send to addresses in your contact list (with some ability to select which contacts.) I really don't want to add all that selection management (and email addresses) to a contact list. All the other management of the data is happening in Access.

All other aspects of the word merge wizard work fine, except that it doesn't expose the "from" address for modification. I'm quite sure I could add the functionality to an enhanced wizard (using the office developer toolkit) but I'd much prefer to (if at all possible) modify an existing wizard than create a whole new one.

Thanks,
    Tommy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Tommy, I just read your dilemma, and I have the same needs for the research studies we invite our respondents to take. I use mail merge to invite each panel member to take the survey at the designated URL and give each their unique respondent code (hence the merge). I spoke with our network administrator/mail guru, and he suggested that we create a generic outlook profile, and so we have a separate PC set up with this profile (we call her Sophie) and all the correspondence comes from Sophie. If you find a better solution, please let me know too!

Thanks

I use OL2000 with only POP3 accounts. This is a bit sloppy, but it seems to work for me.

To set up for the merge:

1. Use Outlook in CW mode.
    2. Shut down Outlook.
    3. Use the mail control panel to create a new profile with the desired sender details. (A valid user name is not required for my setup, but Exchange might want one.)
    4. Start Outlook and tick the checkbox to prompt for profile (Tools|Options|Mail Services).

To actually merge:
    1. Shut down Outlook.
    2. Exit and restart Word to purge its memory of your last mail profile.
    3. When you click Merge..., Word should present you with the Outlook profiles dialog so that you can choose the appropriate profile.

Note: I tested using my PAB and setting a query on my own address. (The one time I forgot, I yanked my Ethernet cable after 4 or 5 very goofy test messages went out. Ooops.) Every time I quit Word and reopened the master document, I got an error regarding the PAB and had to remove the data source. Thus, if you find that you are not getting prompted, it might help to remove and re-add the data source.

Note #2: If you start Outlook before closing Word, it will immediately open in the profile you selected during the Merge process. Strange...I guess Word keeps the connection to mail services open even after it's done merging.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tommy:

I'm a little late on this thread & it's late at night, so forgive my simplistic approach. If you have a database in Access (of which I have some, but little knowledge), can't you create a table in which you put the various organizations that you want the "From" in. Then do your merge using a query in access as your datasource. Or am I missing the point entirely?