New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP - Installing Norton Anti-Virus 2002

I recently re-installed Windows XP. I am trying to install Norton Anti-Virus 2002. I keep receiving the following error message when installing: Error 1406. Could not write Norton Anti-Virus to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftware......Verify that you have sufficient access to that key. Symantec told me to go to the registry and ensure that the system administrator has permission. The full control and read boxes are checked for allow. I am also having similar problems installing some pretty basic children's game CD's. Any ideas as why I'm having problems with these installs?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP - Installing Norton Anti-Virus 2002

You stated "I recently re-installed Windows XP".

Was this a clean install or a install over the top of the old install?

Is this Home edition or the Pro Version?

Are you logged in as the administrator when you are trying to install the programs?

The following is from MS web page
    "Error 1406
    Cannot create a top-level child window. "

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

This was an install over the old install; it is XP Home; I believe that I am logged in as the administrator; I log in under my log-in and I have designated myself as the administrator.

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had similar problems on my WinXP Pro system. The first attempt to install Norton AV 2002 produced the following:

"STOP: c0000218
    {registry file error}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    systemrootsystemsconfigsoftware
    or its log or alternate is corrupt, absent or not writeable."

No amount of effort allowed me to get my operating system back. It was trashed so that even safe mode was unavailable. I used PQ Drive Image to delete WinXP and restore a recent XP image, and decided to forego Norton. A week or so later, I tried again, this time with Norton's Internet Security. Exact same result.

This time, I did a complete reinstall of the opsys and all applications, rather than a Drive image. Everything running fine with McAfee AV, including a warning on an e-mail attachment.

I generally try to avoid both Norton and McAfee products, from years of either bloat, incompatibilities, or both. Tried Panda AV, but it never warned me of anything and was always causing Outlook email problems.

Very happy with McAfee AV this time around, but am sticking with a router firewall and ZoneAlarm for the security stuff.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have tried to uninstall Nortons? And make sure after you have run ALL of the installs listed in control panel "Add remove software" go into Windows Explorer (My Computer) and delete all folders that pertain to Nortons. Reboot, (power down, NOT restart) and then reinstall Nortons.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.